Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix damaged rubber gasket under kitchen sink?

roximn
Finding My Feet

How to fix damaged rubber gasket under kitchen sink?

Hi all,

I have just discovered some water damage under the kitchen sink. It looks like the rubber gasket and plumber’s putty have become damaged - don’t know how. Advice on how to remedy this appreciated!

IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0018.jpeg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to fix damaged rubber gasket under kitchen sink

Hello @roximn 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your sink waste.

I'm afraid this is going to be a very involved repair job. It will require the plug and waste to be taken apart by removing the locking screw from the top. This will allow you to remove the top section of the waste. The "T" junction will need to be disassembled by removing the compression fittings and the dishwasher outlet removed. 

Once that's done only then will you be able to remove the bottom waste assembly. If incorrectly re-assembled the fittings will leak and cause more trouble. I recommend engaging the services of a licensed plumber to remove and replace your plug and waste with a new Kinetic Stainless Steel Sink Basket Waste. It's a convenient repair method rather than trying to hunt down a compatible O ring for your old plug and waste.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi Red,

Thanks! I suspected that might be the case! Good to know what needs doing and with what 👍 

cheers!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @roximn,

@redracer01 has summed it all up nicely.

I'd suggest following their advice and if you have any trouble, contact a plumber for assistance.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Hello, I have a similar problem. There was a lot of “crud” all over the rubber, assumedly sink waste, but it has not dripped anywhere. I cleaned it off then dried the rubber. Following day, after using sink a few times, the rubber is damp but still not dripping. It doesn’t seem very serious to me, though it’s not perfect. Do you think it needs the attention of a plumber or ok to leave? Thanks for your help :smile:

02469453-A670-46A3-9601-92931BE7AEC0.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @whatahoot 

Thank you for sharing your question about your kitchen plug and waste. If there is no evidence of a leak inside the floor of your cabinet, I propose leaving the assembly alone for the meantime. However, should there be evidence of a leak on the cabinet floor and shelves, then it would be time to have it serviced.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects