Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a burn mark on a kitchen benchtop?

JamieK
Just Starting Out

How to fix a burn mark on a kitchen benchtop?

Hi there,

I was wanting to know best method to fix / paint a burn mark on a laminate ledge / shelf without replacing the whole sheet.

The burn mark is from a tea light candleBurn.jpg

All advice is appreciated greatly

Thank you

JamieK

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a burn mark on laminate benchtop?

Hi @nfount,

I see @EricL has recommended some products in the discussion How to fix a burn mark on benchtop laminate? If you need for suggestions or advice please let us know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kasey1
Just Starting Out

How to fix a burn mark on laminate benchtop?

0895448F-CA94-43E1-9D4B-97ACF85ADF9B.jpeg

  

Hi I’m hoping someone can help me. I have a burn mark on my bench top it looks like a laminate bench top but I’m no expert. Does anyone know how I could patch this over? Thankyou!

F73B70F8-E9C9-419B-B40C-0350CF3129F4.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a burn mark on laminate benchtop?

Hello @kasey1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about repairing your benchtop.

I suggest having a quick look at our best advice article - How to repair a damaged laminate benchtop? I also recommend having a look at this discussion - How to fix a burn mark on benchtop laminate? by @JamieK

One other option is to cut the damaged portion of the laminate with a Stanley Knife and filling the damage with UNi-PRO 500g Multi Purpose Interior Filler - 500g. Your goal is to fill the damage to the same level as the benchtop. Once the filler cures, I suggest sanding it flat using a Rocket Sanding Sponge Kit - 10 Pack.

Once the surface is nice and flat, I suggest painting the surface with paint that is close to the colour of your benchtop. You'll need to touch up the paint from time to time as it will wear out due to daily use. Should the opportunity present itself, I propose replacing the benchtop with a new one.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

alex23
Just Starting Out

How to repair burnt laminated benchtop?

The laminated kitchen benchtop has partly burnt as a result of placing a hot pan onto it.

Could you please provide any suggestion on how to repair it to make its original appearance.

Thank you.

IMG-20240415-WA0001.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to repair burnt part of laminated benchtop

Hi @alex23,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and many thanks for your question.

I would start by gently trying to remove the discolouration using Scotch-Brite 155 x 100mm Heavy Duty Scourer Pads and dishwashing liquid such as Morning Fresh Lemon Dishwashing Liquid. Once you see that this is no longer having any effect on the discolouration, you might like to use Flexovit 100mm x 1m 400 Grit Wet And Dry Sandpaper in the same manner. Be careful not to rub too hard, you are simply trying to remove the discolouration, not the actual laminate coating. 

Once you have removed as much of the discolouration as possible you can fill the areas where the laminate has burnt through with PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste, which can then be sanded to a suitable finish and painted if required.

You might like to check out these previous threads for some similar repairs:

Please feel free to get in touch if you have any further questions or would like further help.

Jacob

Simarpreet15
Just Starting Out

How to fix burnt kitchen laminate ?

IMG_5103.jpeg

As I mistakenly placed a hot  small cooktop on the kitchen laminate, a small area was burnt. Table top is made of block wood covered by off white plywood laminate. 

please help   me how it will fix  or suggest an effective way out. Thank you so much.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix burnt portion of kitchen laminate ?

Hello @Simarpreet15 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about repairing your benchtop.

To effectively reduce burn marks on your laminate benchtop, start by using a Scotch-Brite 155 x 100mm Heavy Duty Scourer Pad and ordinary dishwashing soap. Apply the soap to the affected area and scrub with the pad in a straight, left-to-right motion. Avoid circular scrubbing, as this can further damage the surface. 

Once you’ve cleaned the area to the best of your ability, consider enhancing the appearance by matching the benchtop’s colour. Visit your local store to find a colour sample that closely resembles your benchtop and purchase a small sample pot of the matching paint. 

Using a fine brush, carefully apply the paint to the deeper burn marks. Water-based paint can be diluted for a subtler application; therefore, applying several light coats is preferable to one thick layer to avoid making the repair noticeable.

Although this method will significantly reduce the visibility of the damage, it’s important to note that replacing the laminate or the entire benchtop is the ideal solution for a permanent fix. 

In the meantime, you can also camouflage the area by placing decorative items over it, such as a display piece, a potted plant, or an Urban 40cm Ripple Mango Wood Board Cutting/chopping Block - Natural/white. This approach provides a quick and aesthetically pleasing disguise for the burn marks.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Fy
Just Starting Out

How to fix burned vinyl on my kitchen benchtop?

IMG_7722.jpeg

hi, Can you help me by suggesting what I can do to fix it and how to find the same colour with the laminate? Thanks.. I’ll do all of it with bunnings

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to fix burned vinyl on my kitchen benchtop??

Hi @Fy,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Unfortunately, that burn looks to be too severe to carry out a cosmetic repair. You may have some success scrubbing the burn mark using some steel wool or an abrasive scourer, but it would be impossible to completely remove it as the colour in the laminate has been burnt away.

I'm sorry to say that the only fix I can offer that would give you a good result is to replace the benchtop.

You might like to have a look at our benchtop range, as well as our custom benchtop installation service as options you might like to consider.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Fy
Just Starting Out

Re: how to fix burned vinyl on my kitchen benchtop??

IMG_7724.jpeg

Please tell me how to fix it DIY, I want to try,, just give me what tools I need to repair it? and what colour of the vinyl? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects