Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix Kaboodle drawers dropping?

AnnieManning
Getting Established

How to fix Kaboodle drawers dropping?

A Bunnings assistant suggested I tighten screws of dropping Kaboodle soft close draws. I have removed one draw. The screws just dropped out. How do I replace them when the holes are obviously now too big. Bigger screws? If so what size? Glue? Plugs? Are there custom sized for this Kaboodle problem? The assistant said the screws

20240614_221057.jpg

need tightening every few years. Is this right? Can it be avoided? 

Thanks 

AnnieManning
Getting Established

Re: Kaboodle Draws Dropping

This is my first post. Do staff respond or the community?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AnnieManning,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Apologies for the late response. We do our best to answer all questions promptly and encourage our members to offer their advice where possible.

Due to the dynamic loads a drawer will face, it is certainly possible that the screws for drawer runners will work themselves loose over time. This is unfortunately unavoidable as chipboard is made up of wood pulp that has been glued together.  As the team member has suggested it is good to tighten the screws periodically if you see any movement. 

With drawer runners, your repair options are somewhat limited because the chipboard is fairly thin and any screw you use can't protrude from the other side of the chipboard.

My suggestion is to fill the holes with Builders Bog following the manufacturer's instructions for use. Once sufficiently dry, predrill a small hole in the builders bog that is slightly smaller in diameter than the thread of the screw. If you need assistance sizing a drill bit for pre-drilling, I'd suggest taking the screw to the Tool Shop and asking one of the team members for assistance.

Once predrilled, the drawers can be reinstalled using either Zenith 8G x 15mm Galvanised Button Head Stitching Timber Screws or the screws provided with the drawer runners. 

You might like to check out How To Install Drawer Runners for some guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Thanks Jacob.  I'll do that and let you know how I go. Appreciate your prompt response 

Have a great Saturday

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AnnieManning,

Thank you. I hope you also have a great weekend.

Let me know if you need any help along the way.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects