Workshop
Ask a question

How to strengthen pantry shelving?

redcamper
Getting Established

How to strengthen pantry shelving?

I have an L shaped pantry. It looks like the L is made of 2 separate pieces with a plastic piece joining it. And was strengthened by this vertical board that runs from top to bottom. Problem is the vertical board is in the way of me accessing the things on the shelves. I want to remove this vertical piece. How do I strengthen the shelves then? Better still if I can reuse the vertical piece. Thanks. 

image3.jpegimage4.jpegimage1.jpegimage0 (1).jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to atrengthen pantry shelving?

Helo @redcamper 

Thanks for sharing your question about strengthening your pantry shelving. In order for you to remove the vertical post the weight of the shelf must be somehow supported from the bottom. I suggest using Carinya 200 x 250 x 25 x 6mm Heavy Duty Manhattan Angle Bracket - single - White or similar. In order for the angle bracket to sit flush on the wall you'll need to install timber moulding the same size as the timber piece at the back that's supporting the shelf.

You'll need to screw the angle bracket to the wall and the shelf as well to prevent it from sliding. I suggest a minimum of 3 angle brackets for each shelf. The screws you use will depend on the thickness of the shelf. To anchor the angle bracket to the wall I suggest using Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @redcamper 

Mmmmm thats a "yeah, nah" answer :smile: You pretty much have two options. As @EricL mentions with the right angle brackets from the wall to support the shelf or shifting the verticle piece towards the photographer. The verticle piece atm is supporting all the weight on the shelves, that plastic piece is doing a good job but I really dont trust plastic as a support :smile:

Another option is a right angle bracket screwed on the underside of the long side of the shelves. Steel Angle either steel or alumiunium.  You would still need that verticle piece but you could have it half way along the shelf instead. If you run it along the long shelf then across the short shelf then it will also help with that plastic join down the track. In theory you could do that right angle support on every shelf and even do away with the verticle piece, just need to make sure that all of the right angle is screwed to the shelf solidly so no flex is in the shelf.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @redcamper, both @EricL @and @Dave-1 have offered great solution ideas which would work well. Heres another idea to consider.

If you fix a cross member piece diagonally across each wall support, that will replace the need for the vertical stays. I've done this successfully on a few corner pantry fixes. It's a quick easy and cost effective fix. 42mm x 19mm DAR pine would work or the next size up for heavier shelves. Additional strength would come from single price shelves over two piece.

Regards, Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-07-26 at 11.18.59 PM.png

DIYGnome
Becoming a Leader

Hello @redcamper 👋

So many great suggestions thus far, I especially like the suggestion made by @Dave-1 to support the leading edge of the shelves, this could also be achieved with a timber support frame (as in the attached image) or alternatively you could partition the shelves with uprights as this would provide adequate support and permit the deletion of the current support upright, the down side is you would lose the "open plan" style aesthetics.

Screenshot_20240727-004847_Opera.jpg

redcamper
Getting Established

Thanks all for the suggestions. 

@Dave-1 : With regards to your 2nd suggestion, did you mean to put this along the long and short sides of the shelves along the wall? I'm hoping to remove the vertical piece altogether.

redcamper_0-1722127513526.png

redcamper
Getting Established

Hi @EricL , thanks for your suggestion. I don't quite understand the part where you daid to install the timber moulding. Where do I install this and where will the angle brackets go? Are you able to sketch it out pls? Thank you!

Hi @DIYGnome , I like the open style look on image that you attached. What kind of timber do I need to achieve this? For the short piece that runs across the shelf, how do you attach it?

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @redcamper 

So for the long shelf only, have this type of angle (canbe steel or aluminuim) mounted the whole width across the pantry. Have it so the flat edge is facing outwards and the top is then hidden behind itself. This top is screwed through into your shelf either using coundettrersunk bolts from the shelf or shorter screws. I like the bolts as I think it will give better support.

The way the right angle is in your pic, roll it once (so upside down triangle), then again (balanced on the edge this time) and thats how it will look under your shelving. The piece will extend across the long shelf and then across the short shelf.

Dave

Hello @redcamper 

You can use whatever timber you like to construct the timber ladder shelf support, the picture below nicely illustrates just how the frame supports the shelving, this particular build was completed by Angela Marie @https://angelamariemade.com/how-to-build-corner-pantry-shelves/

Screenshot_20240728-191259_Chrome.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects