Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add shelf support to avoid sagging?

minhletn
Getting Established

How to add shelf support to avoid sagging?

Hi everyone,

I just added a shelf above our fridge for extra storage as below. I used a particleboard 16mm thick 

IMG_0946.jpeg

The size of the shelf is 1167x700, mounted to 2 cleats of the same material

We will be putting only lightweight items on it, however, I wonder if I should add extra support under the shelf to avoid it sagging

I’m thinking about cutting another piece of particleboard and putting it under the shelf between 2 clears making an H shape, does it work? Or is there a better way?

Thanks,

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Add shelf support

Hello @minhletn 

Thanks for sharing your question about your shelf. I propose adding timber support underneath the shelf itself, I recommend using 42 x 19mm 1.2m DAR Pine Standard in a "H" pattern to support the bottom of the shelf and prevent it from bowing. I've placed a sample image below to give you an idea of how it can be assembled. Please disregard the measurements on the timber pieces. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
minhletn
Getting Established

Thank @EricL,

I’m not sure quite sure I understand the sample

which parts of the timber support are mounted to the wall in this?

Thanks,

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @minhletn 

The timber frame is actually placed right underneath the shelf itself. I've only shown you the shelf upside down, so you'll see how it's arranged at the bottom. Please makes sure to use an adhesive in combination with screws to make sure that the timber will not flex while attached to the bottom of the shelf.

Eric

minhletn
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL ,

Instead of 42x19mm dar pine, can 30x12mm dar Tasmanian oak be used (https://www.bunnings.com.au/30-x-12mm-1-8m-dar-tasmanian-oak-select-1-8m_p0070181)?

thanks,

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @minhletn 

Yes, you can use smaller timber pieces for support, however, I propose adding more of them so that the shelf will be even more stiff.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects