Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Care instructions for Specrite Merbau benchtops?

shadix
Finding My Feet

Care instructions for Specrite Merbau benchtops?

Hello,

Are you able to please advise what product I can use on my polyurethaned SpecRite Mereula bench tops.

I have no issues at all with them just after ongoing maintenance and cleaning products to keep them looking as lovely as they do now.

With thanks. Sharon

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Care instructions for Specrite Merbau benchtops?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, Sharon (@shadix). It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about polyurethane maintenance.

Did this benchtop come with the coating applied, or did you coat it yourself? It would be best to speak with the benchtop or coating manufacturer to find out if there are any specific care instructions. If you can link me to the products, that would be helpful.

Typically you should clean the bench down with a soft cloth and a non-abrasive cleaner. Dampening the cloth with a few drops of dishwashing liquid should suffice. It's important to clean any spills or liquid off the benchtop as soon as possible. Scratching using a scourer or abrasive cleaner is going to be the number one way the coating is degraded. Also, make sure to use placemats under pots or plates and mugs with un-glazed bottom rims, as they tend to be rough and will scratch the surface.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell.

Thank you very much for replying.

We coated it ourselves and are very happy with it.
I just wondered if a timber polish could be used on it to keep it nice.

Will look at what the polyurethane manufacturer suggests as you advise.

Much appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I haven't heard of any polishes for polyurethane coatings @shadix. However, if you used Cabot's Benchtop Clear the product is really easy to do a maintenance coat on. In several years' time, if the lustre is beginning to fade and it's not looking as great as it used to be, you can simply give it a quick light sand to key the surface then re-coat, and it will look like new again.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
shadix
Finding My Feet

Thank you! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects