Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I paint a toaster, and if so, how?

Upside3318
Getting Established

Can I paint a toaster, and if so, how?

I need a new toaster and I'd love to have a cute one, but I haven't got $300+ to spend on a smeg! Is it possible/safe to spray paint a toaster?

Are there particular kinds of paint which are safe for use with a heating appliance like this?

What do I need to keep in mind while actually doing it, apart from the obvious "don't plug it in, and cover up he bread holes"?

I haven't GOT a toaster, so if there's something to consider re: plastic vs metal as it pertains to this, then please let me me know that too.  

Thankyou in advance for your advice!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I paint a toaster, and if so, how?

Hi @Upside3318,

Given this is an electrical appliance that heats up, I'd say the best place to source information on whether it can be painted would be the manufacturer of the appliance. Unfortunately, I can assume that it's going to be a resounding no to coating it. There are just too many risks involved to be able to say it's safe to paint. I'd have the same reservations about painting a heater, hairdryer, hair straightener etc.

There are plenty of cute toasters in our range that cost nowhere near the $300 mark. What about a Morphy Richards 1880W Accents Rose Gold 4 Slice Toaster Teal or Laura Ashley Elveden 2 Slice Toaster White & Silver? I'd encourage you to check out whether there is something that suits your budget.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Can I paint a toaster, and if so, how?

Thanks Mitchell - it’s not the answer I wanted but it’s what I feared I’d get. 

Unfortunately, while fairly cute, both of those examples are beyond my financial capabilities. 😔 I don’t really have money to spend on a toaster right now at all, but I figure it might help me be able to eat sometimes in spite of executive dysfunction. 

I want a two slice toaster, and aesthetically I like pinks, aquas, mint green, and yes some of those birds in the Laura Ashley one are quite appealing too. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects