Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

low level deck

qroozn
Just Starting Out

low level deck

Greeting guru’s. last time I asked about a deck I got my head in a spin and ended up doing a knock down and rebuild because “it was easier”.

I now have a new home and a very low area in the front of my house and am wanting to do a low level deck so we can better utilise this space (which is very shaded by a balcony, gets quite a bit of water run off from the neighbours, and contains a storm water pit. ).
the space below is about 5400 long x 2600. The pit is only 60mm lower than the SLAB. I am wanting to have the deck finish about 260mm up from the pit (200mm up from the slab) - which gives me about a 130mm step from the patio onto the deck.

I have so much clay, bricks, debris, and a gas line under the soil that I am trying to avoid doing piers (I am concerned about the amount of work to dig the footing, and am concerned that a mistake will be less forgiving). I have done a lot of clean up to level the ground with a slight slope, and have put a French drain to try and catch the runoff and direct it to the pit. I was thinking of putting builders plastic over the whole area, covering it with coarse sand (for drainage). and then putting supports on the sand (maybe with a paver under each) and a single layer frame so I can meet my target height with the limited clearance.

i am planning on doing composite decking to reduce maintenance in the future. 

i am attempting this myself so try and minimise the cost and for the self satisfaction - but I am an over thinker and will be unlikely to start until I know what I’m committed to.  Does anyone have advice? (I looked at the span tables - but they always confuse me). Thanks

IMG_1411.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects