Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why have my bulbs disappeared?

stixwoman
Just Starting Out

Why have my bulbs disappeared?

hi everyone - over the years I’ve added to my bulbs -but my iris and lium bulbs have disappeared into thin air  except in one space ( iris bulbs) !  Between their last flowering and now -  freesias  all good …. Has this happened to anyone else ??😢

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Disappeared bulbs!

Morning @stixwoman 

Nom Nom Nom is what I figured when my bulbs went missing, Wet ground causing rot and then worms plus other bugs had a feast. Has your ground where they live been saturated? Some bulbs I have seen should be havested after flowering and then replanted the following year? 

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why have my bulbs disappeared?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @stixwoman. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about dissapearing bulbs.

There are several possible reasons why your bulbs have disappeared such as rodents might have dug up and eaten the bulbs, which is a common issue in many gardens.

Bulbs can also rot if the soil is too wet or poorly drained, or they may fall victim to fungal or bacterial diseases, causing them to deteriorate. Vigorous competition from other plants or weeds might be outcompeting your bulbs for nutrients and space.

Additionally, extreme weather conditions, such as a very harsh winter or an unusually hot and dry summer, can cause bulbs to die off. Over time, bulbs can become exhausted and may not produce flowers or even survive, necessitating regular replenishment for certain types.

Since your freesias are thriving, the problem seems specific to irises and liliums. Inspecting soil conditions and checking for pests or diseases, as well as replanting bulbs in a different location and ensuring proper care, may help prevent this issue in the future.

Here's a helpful guide: How to plant spring flowering bulbs

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Disappeared bulbs!

Hi Dave - not rot as due to retic  issues those areas received only rainfall which was negligent ! But thanks for your response. 🌈👏🏻

Re: Why have my bulbs disappeared?

Hi Mitchell thanks! - yeh - I’m. Trying again ….. 🙏

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects