Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are my Golden Cane palms dying?

BoDacious8
Just Starting Out

Why are my Golden Cane palms dying?

12-year-old palms, the trunks are suddenly turning orange, and the leaves are browning and dying. Not all in the cluster are affected.
There are some white furry insects on some leaves but not so many..
Video:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zy2Rpol_hq-PAGmtHieaZg6rsFmVi_uE/view?usp=sharing 
Video:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XIAWVyNZfxz9QMp1TH52lT7MSWh1uhfC/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance for your suggestions..

IMG_4845.JPG

IMG_4874.JPG

IMG_4875.JPG

IMG_4876.JPG

This photo shows the white furry insect cocoons?

IMG_4877.JPG

IMG_4878.JPG

IMG_4879.JPG

       

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Why are my Golden Cane palms dying?

Hi @BoDacious8,

Please note that the Bunnings Workshop community is for residents of Australia and New Zealand. 

Bunnings has a helpful guide How to grow and care for palm trees that you might find useful, but otherwise it might be better to get local advice from experts who are familiar with your climate, growing conditions and common garden issues. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I am an AU resiident just living in Bali..
That's how I know about Bunnings!

BoDacious8
Just Starting Out

I'd really appreciate recommendations from your experienced members @Adam_W and @Noelle 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BoDacious8 

I propose looking at the basics such as your watering habits. Is it getting too much or not enough water? Has it been exposed to extreme heat or weather change? Has the soil around it been fertilized. was there anything that occurred to it in the last eight weeks that was out of the ordinary? Oh, and before I forget was it accidentally drenched in swimming pool water?     

However, as Jason mentioned, it's best to consult with a local gardener as they will be more familiar with the symptoms and possible cause of the Golden Cane palms illness.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects