Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What wire to support climbers on fence?

amySA
Cultivating a Following

What wire to support climbers on fence?

I am wanting to wire across the top part of my fence in prep for a climber to be able to spread. 

Previously I have used 1.25mm wire to support smaller vines but am looking for guidance as to what is more appropriate to use for heavier vines. (Used the diamond method I seen on here and it worked a treat).

Looking at using both happy wanderer in one area and jasmine in another. 

How thick should the wire be? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Wiring in fence to support climbers

Hi @amySA,

Thank you for your question about wire supports for climbing plants.

There's not a definitive size that the wire should be, but thicker will certainly be better. 

Something like this 3.2mm Marine Grade Stainless Steel Wire Rope should be perfect for this application.

Keep in mind that the majority of the weight will be supported by the attachment points to the fence, so effectively anchoring the wire to the fence using something like an Everhang 20mm Zinc Plated Screw Eye Hook and Taskmaster 4mm Wire Rope Grips will be more important to ensure the weight is supported.

Did you already have hooks in place? If so, could you upload some photos? I'd be happy to have a look and advise a method that will work for your circumstances.

Let me know if you have any further questions or need a hand uploading images, I'm happy to help.

Jacob

amySA
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your reply Jacob. 

I would be looking at attaching to colour bond fence and currently have nothing in place as of yet. 

I have only attached previously in a different spot with wire and tek screws.

I would love an example 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @amySA 

The same technique would definitely work using the materials Jacob recommended. But would it be possible for you to post a photo of your climbers? This will give our members a chance to assess how big your climbers are. We can then make recommendations on how to porceed.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
amySA
Cultivating a Following

I have yet to purchase. I am pre-planning for planting 😊😊

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @amySA,

There's no harm in planning ahead.

My advice from earlier remains the same, but due to the use of Colourbond fencing, you may need to adjust the method slightly.

Looping the wire using the Taskmaster 4mm 316 Stainless Steel Wire Rope Grips and then screwing through the loop to the post using a hex head tek screw is a great solution. They even come in colours to match Colourbond's most common colours such as these Buildex 10G x 16mm Surfmist Tek Screws.

Let me know if you need any assistance as your project commences.

Jacob

amySA
Cultivating a Following

Thank you.

So use the rope grips to secure the rope together to create a loop. Then use tek screws throw loop to attach to fence?? 

Just want to make sure I understand 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @amySA,

Yes, that is correct. This will give you a good strong connection that will support your heavy plants well, just make sure to get the nuts as tight as you can.

Let me know how you go.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects