Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to identify this plant?

davidc12
Finding My Feet

How to identify this plant?

Hi,

Can anyone help me with to identify this plant?

1000009023.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: recognise plant

Hi @davidc12,

It's a little hard to identify strappy-leaved plants as they could be any number of similar-looking plants. Do they flower at all? They could be a type of Cordyline, Dietis (African Iris/Lilly), but you probably couldn't even rule out things like Kangaroo paw

If it has a flower like the one below, it's a variety of Dietis.

Let me mention a couple of our gardening experts, @Noelle and @mich1972.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Plant ID help.

Hi @davidc12 

It looks a little like Lomandra longifolia, an Australian grass that is widely used as a landscape plant. However, as Mitchell has said, it is rather difficult to be positive without seeing a flower or seed head.

Hi, yes. That is the flower. So which one should I order from your website? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @davidc12,

Unfortunately, as our plant suppliers are very region specific and the plants that are available can change from week to week, it is not possible to order plants through our website.

I'd suggest giving your local store a call and asking if they have any Dietes grandiflora in stock as that is the species in the image @MitchellMc has uploaded.

If they do not have any, their Horticulture Expert should be able to make some enquiries with the local nurseries to see when they will become available.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects