Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What pump for our garden pond?

Matt2024
Finding My Feet

What pump for our garden pond?

20240617_173832.jpg

Hello just wondering what pump we would need for our poud.  

Size 120mm L By 75mm W  By 20MM D

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What pump for our garden pond?

Hi @Matt2024,

Thank you for your question about selecting a pond pump.

I think you may have gotten your dimensions mixed up a little bit. The dimensions you've provided would be fairly small. Did you mean 120cm x 75cm x 20cm?  

Typically, a pond pump should circulate the entire pond's volume every 1 to 2 hours. For example, if your pond holds 1,000 litres, the pump should have a flow rate of 500-1,000 litres per hour.

Assuming you meant 120cm x 75cm x 20cm, the volume of the pond would be around 180 litres.

As there doesn't appear to be a power point close by, you would need to use a solar-powered unit such as this Aquapro AP300SP Solar Pump And Panel Kit

This unit has a flow rate of 300L per hour, which exceeds the required 180L per hour for your pond. Luckily, there's an inbuilt flow controller that can be used to reduce the flow rate, so you aren't wasting the energy produced by the solar panel unnecessarily.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Thank you for your reply.  The pond is not very big.  The measurements you mentioned are correct.  We have a PowerPoint and are going to use power to the pump.  If 500-1000L is suitable, then I will get an electric pump to power it. It  has 2 smaller ponds that cascade the water into the main pond and recycle the water from the pond and back into the other section so the water cascades.   The pump should be strong enough to achieve this.  Can you advise whichever is the better Electric pump for our pond. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Matt2024,

If you've got a suitable outdoor power point, I'd suggest using an Aquapro AP210 Tabletop Water Feature Pump which has a flow rate of 210L per hour.

Please note that the lead on this pump is only 2 metres long so if you need to use an extension lead, please secure the connection with an Arlec IP44 Outdoor Safety Box.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects