Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best lightweight battery operated whipper snipper?

Heidi1
Getting Established

What is the best lightweight battery operated whipper snipper?

I currently use a ryobi line whipper snipper. I've had it for years and although it's been reliable, it is heavy once the battery is attached.

Do harnesses make it easier to carry the load so the weight of the trimmer is not on my arms as much?

Also, any recommendations for other lighter brands?

Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best lightweight battery operated whipper snipper

Hello @Heidi1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your whipper snipper.

One quick way to lighten the weight on your whipper snipper is to use smaller batteries such as the Ryobi 18V ONE+ 2.0Ah Compact Battery. It will not give you the same amount of cutting time, but you will notice that your line trimmer will be marginally lighter. For an effective run time, I suggest getting two of the lightweight batteries.

Would you be able to post a picture of your whipper snipper or tell us its model number. We can then find out if it has a provision for a harness. Ryobi currently has the Ryobi Universal Shoulder Strap, it might be be able to work with your current set.

There is also the Ozito PXC 18V 240mm Cordless Grass Trimmer Kit, but it uses a plastic blade instead of a continuous line. It is slightly lighter than the Ryobi, but putting a larger battery on it negates its lightweight advantage. Other that, the rest of the cordless line trimmers are at par if not heavier than Ryobi and Ozito.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Heidi1
Getting Established

Thanks @EricL 

With the Ozito, how do you change the blades? It looks like the bosch blades are the best quality after reading the bunnings reviews.

My line trimmer is on the manual photo. It came with a sling but it was uncomfortable so I don't use it 🙂

1000002365.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Heidi1,

The blades simply clip on and off; it's a really easy-to-use system. The Bosch blades are of a more premium quality and are also suitable to use on the Ozito unit.

Depending on how the supplied sling was uncomfortable, perhaps you could add some foam padding to it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Heidi1
Getting Established

@MitchellMcthe Ozito line trimmer with the blades looks ideal. Comes with a great warranty too.

What does 240mm mean?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Heidi1 

If you are referring to the Ozito PXC 18V 240mm Cordless Grass Trimmer. The 240mm measurement indicates the maximum cutting path the grass trimmer will cut when going in a straight line. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Heidi1
Getting Established

How much would a spare battery cost for this line trimmer @EricL ?

The one you linked.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Heidi1 

The Ozito PXC 18V 2.5Ah Battery and Charger PXBC-25B - Kit is the latest light weight battery from Ozito currently priced at $24.98. The next battery is the Ozito PXC 18V Black Series 4.0Ah Lithium Ion Battery PXBP-40B it is rated at 4.0Ah but is heavier than the first battery priced at $48.  

Eric

Heidi1
Getting Established

Excellent value. Do you know how long the battery takes to charge @EricL ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Heidi1 

I've placed a table below from Ozito indicating charging times for batteries. I hope that helps.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects