Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What fast growing screening hedge is also livestock friendly?

cakes287
Just Starting Out

What fast growing screening hedge is also livestock friendly?

Hi All

I’m in the process of offering on a house that has a small paddock, about 200m of it on the North/South border has a very clear view into the neighbours property. I’d love to plant a fast(ish) growing hedge along the border but given it’s a paddock I’d need to ensure it’s non toxic (and ideally not super tasty) to livestock. 
most the info I can find is on trees not hedging. Thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What fast growing screening hedge is also livestock friendly?

Hello @cakes287 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about fast growing hedges.

I'm only aware of two plants that grow fast and is safe for livestock. The lilly pilly has been known to grow up to two meters a year and if the soil is prepared properly, it will accelerate the growth of the plant. The other plant is the clumping bamboo, needless to say bamboo grows fast and spreads even faster. My best advice is to make sure that the kind you get is the clumping kind.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle, @mich1972 and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What fast growing screening hedge is also livestock friendly?

Hi @cakes287,

Just thought I'd add that we have a comprehensive guide How to select and grow clumping bamboo, as well as a step-by-step guide How to plant a clumping bamboo hedge also by @Adam_W.

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects