Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What can I plant this month in tropical Queensland?

Jeannette1
Just Starting Out

What can I plant this month in tropical Queensland?

Thanks for adding me.

So what can I plant this month in Townsville NQld?

I love flowers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What can I plant this month in tropical Queensland?

Welcome to the bunnings Workshop community @Jeannette1. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about suitable plants for Townsville.

The best place to start would be with your local Bunning Nursery. Our range is tailored to suit your location, so anything you find there will be perfect for your climate. The Expert Nursery team member would also be more than happy to provide suggestions from our range.  

Given you are in a tropical environment but with not quite as much rainfall due to the geographical location, I'd suggest: sow balsam, celosia, cockscomb, coleus, gomphrena, marigold, petunia, salvia, torenia and vinca. Natives do really well, so well worth a look at what your closest Bunnings Nursery has in stock.

Let me mention @Noelle and @Adam_W to see if they have any suggestions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: What can I plant this month in tropical Queensland?

Hi @Jeannette1 I wasn't quite sure myself so I cracked open my trusty Yates Garden Guide to the flowers table & a few they suggested were...
- Balsam & Impatiens

- English marigold (Calendula)
- Californian poppy
- Celosias
- Coleus (this is grown mainly for foliage but the foliage is awesome & colourful)
- Dahlia (in a wind protected spot)
- Marigolds, both African & French
- Sunflowers
- Zinnia
One to look out for, perfect for the tropics, is all the flowering gingers. They should be appearing in the nursery soon.
Apart from that as @MitchellMc suggested just cruise the nursery & see what they have in. My personal tip there is see if you can find out what day new stock comes in the product groups you're interested in so you can see the full range as some things sell fast.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects