Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What are these brown markings on my lemons?

smasshmurphy
Growing in Experience

What are these brown markings on my lemons?

IMG_0014.jpeg

My lemons all have these brown marks on them that look like some sort of insect. Can anyone tell me what they are? Are the lemons still ok to eat and is there anyway to prevent this? Also what is the best way to look after a lemon tree? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What are these markings on my lemons?

Hi @smasshmurphy,

Thank you for your question about an issue you are having with your lemons.

I'm not 100% certain, but it looks like it could be either citrus black spot or lemon scab which would require treatment with a copper fungicide such as Yates Liquid Copper Fungicide.

Is it possible to get some photos of the tree as well? If it is citrus black spot or lemon scab, the leaves may also be showing symptoms.

My research into these issues tells me there shouldn't be an issue with eating these lemons, but you should use your own discretion to make a decision on this. If you cut open the lemon and it doesn't seem right, it's probably best to avoid eating it.

In the meantime, allow me to tag some of our resident garden gurus to see if they have any advice, @Noelle, @mich1972, @CathD.

You might also like to check out How To Grow And Care For a Lemon Tree for some advice on best practices for growing and caring for lemon trees.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What are these markings on my lemons?

Hi @smasshmurphy 

The other option to JacobZ suggestion is scale, an insect pest which also should not cause any internal damage that would make the fruit inedible. However, a few photos of the tree and the leaves would be great, so we can have a better look at overall health.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects