Workshop
Ask a question

How to build a raised garden cover?

Goffin
Just Starting Out

How to build a raised garden cover?

I am building a raised bed cover and I have bought a plan as I have no idea what I'm doing but willing to give it a go. The plan says to use 2inch x 2inch furring boards. What are they? Thank you! Also the plan uses chicken wire is that easier to use than a bird wire mesh? I really want to get out little rodents too. i was thiking of going with Saxon 90cm x 10m Bird Netting Wire.

Also it requires these things..

2 and half inch exterior screws...which ones???

brass hinges - exterior grade

brass barrel bolt

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 6.30.37 PM.png

Thank you!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Raised garden cover

Hi @Goffin,

Thank you for your question about building a raised garden cover.

The term furring board is not often used in Australia and New Zealand. They would usually be referred to as batten. I'm assuming the plans are from an American source, so the materials and dimensions will not always line up perfectly with the plans.

You can use 70 x 35mm Outdoor Framing H3 Treated Pine instead of the 2inchx2inch furring boards that they refer to, but if they've provided a cut list, you will have to make some slight alterations to the plans.

There are no issues using the Saxon 90cm x 10m Bird Netting Wire as opposed to chicken wire. The bird wire mesh is very similar to chicken wire, but it has a smaller aperture, which is the size of the space between the wires, so this would be better for keeping out small rodents such as mice. This wire can be fixed in place using Paslode 15 x 2.0mm 100g Galvanised Staple Nails.

My suggestions for hardware are Zenith 8 - 10 x 60mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Timber Screws, Pinnacle 70mm Fixed Pin Butt Hinges and Pinnacle 50mm Zinc Plated Barrel Bolt.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects