Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ponytail Palm

ClareD-
Community Newcomer

Ponytail Palm

My 30 year old ponytail palm may have had borers and heavy white stench oozing out of lower trunk holes for a few weeks. In six months it fell over and the lower trunk was just dry fluff.  A nearby 30 year old palm has its bark collapsing away from lower trunk. Feels mushy inside open holes only on 25% of very lower trunk...

How can I save this palm  and what is this disorder?

IMG20240601151611.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ponytail Palm

Hi @ClareD-,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Unfortunately, once borers get in, there is not much beyond the removal and isolation of the tree that can be done. This is mainly to protect the other trees around them as once they get in, the damage is likely already done and you should focus on protecting the unaffected trees around them.

If your palm that is still standing is in the early stages, a pest control expert may be able to help, but it is likely that you will need to contact an arborist for assistance in removing the tree to prevent further infestation of surrounding trees.

Allow me to tag @Noelle, @robchin and @Adam_W to see if they have any advice.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects