Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My hedges are turning yellow and dropping leaves - what to do?

AnnaR1
Just Starting Out

My hedges are turning yellow and dropping leaves - what to do?

Since about 1.5 month I gave noticed that my hedge started to turn yellow... does anybody know what the problem is, and is it a problem? I am not an avid gardener, so any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!IMG_2295.jpegIMG_2294.jpegIMG_2293.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: My hedges are turning yellow and dropping leaves- what to do?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @AnnaR1. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about your hedge.

So sorry for the delay in my reply. You might like to check out this helpful guide: How to diagnose a sick plant.

Yellowing leaves and leaf drop in hedges can result from several issues. Overwatering or underwatering is often the culprit, so ensure the soil is well-drained and that your hedges receive adequate water.

Nutrient deficiencies, particularly in nitrogen, can also cause yellowing leaves. Applying a balanced fertiliser suitable for your hedge type may resolve this. Additionally, pests such as aphids, scale, or spider mites can damage hedges, so inspect for these and treat them accordingly. Fungal diseases might also be a factor, indicated by mould or mildew, which can be addressed with fungicides.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects