Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Leaf tips browning and falling off

Leigjar
Just Starting Out

Leaf tips browning and falling off

Hi

1000014843.jpg

1000014842.jpg

I've recently planted an advanced avocado which receives direct morning light and has been getting plenty of rain, however all the leaves tips and sides are turning brown and falling off. Plant is not happy. Please help!

Thanks

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Leaf tips browning and falling off

Hi @Leigjar,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

If you brush the ground cover aside, is the top 5cm of soil particularly damp? Or is it dry?

Looking at the browning of the leaves, I think it's fairly likely the issue is related to either over or under-watering. As you've indicated that your avocado tree has been receiving plenty of water lately, I think it's more likely to be over-watering due to the soil's inability to drain.

Applying organic matter, such as this mushroom compost to the base of the tree is a good way to promote earthworms and microbial growth in the soil which will help break up the soil and in turn improve the drainage.

I'd suggest having a look at How to diagnose a sick plant for some further information.

Also, allow me to tag @Noelle to see if she has any advice to offer.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Leigjar 

The browning leaf margins look to me to be caused by the soil being too wet. If you have just recently planted the tree, are you able to lift it and add soil beneath it, to elevate the roots? The tree will do better if it is raised above the surrounding soil so excess moisture drains away from the roots.

Jacob's suggestion of adding a good organic mulch is also a good idea, but it will take time to become incorporated into the soil and to attract earthworms to aid in soil aeration. By the time the soil is in good condition, the tree may well be dead, judging by it current appearance.

Leigjar
Just Starting Out

Hi Noelle 

Thanks to yourself and Jacob for your replies. I was concerned it was a water issue, and if there hadn't been so much rain in Perth I may have thought it was a lack of water. I've just dug down the soil profile alongside the plants roots and the soil is very slightly damp but anything from wet or waterlogged. We are in Fremantle and there is limestone just a little further down. Could it be that the waterlogging has now subsided due to no rain over the last week or two, and I should check again after some more rain. I'm worried about raising the plant as I'm concerned about lack of water over the long hot summer. I did add bentonite and good soil under the tree

1000014865.jpg

when I planted it. Any additional thoughts would be really welcome!!!! Thanks again

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects