Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat Guava leaves burn marks?

Rahman
Just Starting Out

How to treat Guava leaves burn marks?

Guava leaves are burning up. The new leaves are also not coming out. I have added compost and fertilizer for any nutrients issues. What am I doing wrong?

IMG_20240912_075334258.jpg

IMG_20240912_075054198.jpg

IMG_20240912_075400565.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to treat Guava leaves burn marks?

Hello @Rahman 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your guava tree.

It appears that your guava tree has a mild fungal infection. I suggest using Yates 200ml Liquid Copper Fungicide. It is a broad-spectrum fungicide, that is suitable for use on fruit, vegetables and ornamentals, for controlling leaf curl, leaf spots, blights, downy mildew and many more fungal diseases.

I also suggest using Seasol 600ml Complete Garden Health Treatment. Seasol helps to stimulate strong root development and enhance flowering and fruiting. Regular doses of Seasol throughout the year will help plants to cope with stresses like heat, drought, frost, pests and diseases. Plus, it stimulates beneficial micro-organisms in the soil, which are essential for healthy soil and plants.

I recommend having a look at this guide - How to diagnose a sick plant by @Noelle.

Please make sure to use personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint rated mask when using the spray.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rahman
Just Starting Out

Hi Eric, 

Many thanks for your response. I will apply fungicide as you mentioned.

I have 2 more guava tree of different varieties are showing early signs as well. 

Can you kindly have a look and tell me whether they are fungal related issues as well?

Thanks 

IMG_20240913_082311588.jpg

IMG_20240913_082316302.jpg

IMG_20240913_082246012.jpg

IMG_20240913_082250699.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Rahman,

The issues are likely related.

The first thing I notice about your images is that the soil looks very saturated with water. I suspect this potential fungal issue is related to the bed's drainage. Guava plants dislike having wet roots, and waterlogged conditions can lead to root rot and fungal issues. Poor drainage in a raised garden bed can exacerbate this problem by creating an environment where the soil remains saturated, preventing the roots from accessing oxygen properly. This lack of oxygen weakens the plant and makes it more susceptible to fungal infections.

To address this, I recommend improving the drainage of the bed by incorporating materials like coarse sand or organic matter into the soil to promote better water flow. Avoid overwatering the plant, and consider using a fungicide suitable for fruit trees to manage any existing fungal issues. 

Are there adequate drainage holes in the raised bed that allow excess water to escape? 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects