Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I level an area for a paver for pot plant?

DolceVita
Getting Established

How do I level an area for a paver for pot plant?

I have 2 different levelling questions.

1.  I have single pavers around the yard with plant pots on top. They are slightly uneven and I need to level them. I don’t want to lower the ground under them as I would like the paver to be above the grass line. How is it best to do this?

2. I have a few areas with a quite obvious slope where I want to have some of the individual pavers. What is the best way to deal with these areas. How can I build the back up as digging out the front won’t work, due to the lawns slope. 

I have levelled in other areas using road base and tamping it but is there a better way for these that won’t use so much road base.I want them to have a slight pedestal effect so they need to be raised not lowered.

Thanks so much.

Obvious slope toward the fence.Obvious slope toward the fence.Uneven.Uneven.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I level an area for a paver for pot plant?

Hi @DolceVita,

Thank you for your question about raising and levelling your pavers.

Realistically, there are only two ways to level the ground. Remove material, or add material.

Since you've indicated that you don't want to dig down, then the answer is to add material such as road base or drainage gravel. 

If you've found in the past that using road base uses more material than you want to, you might consider using drainage gravel instead. The stones in drainage gravel are larger, so in this application, a bag of drainage gravel will likely go further than a bag of road base. 

You could also take some dirt from an inconspicuous area in your yard and mix it in with the drainage gravel to bring the level up slightly and reduce the amount of material needed.

Whatever you choose to do, compacting the material is essential to provide a stable base that won't erode with the next downpour.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects