Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop water and noise from neighbouring property?

Helpneeded
Just Starting Out

How to stop water and noise from neighbouring property?

Neighbour wanted a new colourbond fence to complete his backyard look. However a few years back they concreted their yard and sides and filled in the drains so they have none. Every house in our section of the street has one either side and one in the backyard as the houses were built in a flood plain, they now have none. Since the fence went up a month ago we had torrential rain and our side yard flooded a couple of days ago as their concrete is about 3 inches higher than ours so we end up with all their water run off and our drain couldn't cope, We had to go out and redirect the water before it entered the house. Even when they hose etc we have their water go down our drain. How can I stop the water entering our property under the colourbond fence cheaply easily and efficiently. There is no garden beds its the fence on the concrete. all the way along.

What can I put along the fence line to block out the noise of the motorbike idling beside the bedroom windows and loud music? Would planter boxes with clumping bamboo work? I am open to all suggestions that can help rectify these issues. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to stop water and noise from neighbouring property?

Hi @Helpneeded,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust our helpful members will provide lots of advice and inspiration for all your projects.

Can you please share some photos of your backyard so members can see what you are working with? They will then be in a much better position to be able to suggest additional drainage and screening options for you. 

We would also always recommend contacting your local council for advice on issues with drainage from neighbouring properties. 

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop water and noise from neighbouring property?

Hello @Helpneeded 

Thanks for sharing your question about blocking or redirecting the water coming from your neighbour's property and also how to block off the ambient noise coming from their side. A photo of the fenced area would be fantastic as our members will be able to assess the situation. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. 

Moving or redirecting the flow of natural water is a tricky business. I suggest consulting a licensed plumber regarding the water coming from your neighbour's. 

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects