Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to save screening tree?

mayank
Just Starting Out

How to save screening tree?

My Fencing Shrub/Tree leaves started drying up suddenly while similar other trees are fine. The tree looked happy 2 weeks before and suddenly all the leaves started drying up, i am a bit worried how can we save this

20240624_141544.jpg 20240624_141601.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: My Fencing Shrub/Tree leaves started drying up suddenly while similar other trees are fine

Hello @mayank 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your fencing shrub.

I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time trying to identify your shrub. Would you happen to know what plant it is? 

In order for us to begin diagnosing your plant, can please tell us a little bit about its history. Have you changed your watering habits lately? Did you apply any fertilizer to the plant? Has anyone around your neighbourhood been spraying insecticide or herbicide? 

Can you please check the soil under your plant, is it damp, wet or waterlogged? Are there any strange growths on the body of the plant or is the base root black? Any extra information you can give us about what's been happening around your plant will help us narrow down the cause.

I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to diagnose a sick plant by @Noelle. It will give you more ideas of what to look for when diagnosing your plant.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to save screening tree?

Hi @mayank,

That looks to be a pittosporum. They can be quite finicky with their watering requirements, dramatically suffering from over or underwatering. As @EricL has touched on, has anything changed recently? If you've been going through a wet spell in your location, the roots might be waterlogged, especially if you are on a clay base or there is poor drainage. Check to see if the soil is saturated.

Here's a helpful guide: Planting, growing and pruning pittosporums. You'll also find a heap of other discussions on the community covering pittosporum health issues. The vast majority of them are due to soil moisture conditions.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects