Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to save lemon tree ringbarked by rats?

jb1794
Getting Established

How to save lemon tree ringbarked by rats?

IMG_9992.jpeg

IMG_9998.jpeg

I’ve just discovered our lemon tree bark has been chewed completely off around the base by what I assume is rats. It’s the entire way around the trunk.

it’s only about 1 year old and just finally flowering for the first time! 

Is there anything I can do to save the tree? I’m very nervous it will die. Any help and advice very appreciated!

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Lemon tree ring barked by rats PLEASE HELP

Ohhhhh geez that’s nasty @jb1794 definitely rats as they love to strip the bark. I saw another post about the same thing but I don’t know how to share it. You need to put up a physical barrier. Mitchell had answered the other question with the information. I’m sure he will see this soon 😃

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@MitchellMc Mitch , I don’t know how to share an answer from another post about the same problem. Can you help please 😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jb1794. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about ring-barked citrus trees.

I believe @mich1972 was referring to this discussion: How to save my citrus trees from rats. In that discussion I suggested creating a physically barrier that the rats couldn't climb. You might find it easier to use this Consolidated Alloys 150 x 0.3mm x 10m Weatherflash to wrap around the trunk.

Unfortunately, if they've ring-barked the whole way around the trunk, that might be it for the plant. If there is no live tissue connecting the upper and lower tree, it will likely die off. I'm so sorry to see this, as it's an unpleasant experience to lose any tree. With complete girdling, some advanced grafting techniques like a bridge graft could be employed, but you'd need to remove live bark from a donor site. Even if you were able to complete a few bridge grafts around the trunk successfully, the plant will likely always struggle.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc Thank you 😊 

jb1794
Getting Established

Thanks so much for getting back to me and your advice @MitchellMc . I’m sad to say it’s the whole way around so it doesn’t sound good. In a desperate attempt (and no idea really what I’m doing) I’ve wrapped it with sphagnum moss, some natural plant tie material and then some waterproof tape to hold it on. I know this may not save it, but maybe it will make it for the flowers that are there now. 

Can I make a cutting and grow a new tree from any of the healthy branches?

Thanks again for the help - I’m super impressed how quickly I got a response from yourself and @mich1972!! What a great community!

jb1794
Getting Established

Thanks so much @mich1972 for your suggestion and advice too!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jb1794,

The attempt you have made is a good decision. It might induce the live top to throw roots; if enough of them are produced, you could cut the trunk and transplant the top half. Just make sure to keep the sphagnum moss moist (not wet) and shield the area from the sun.

I don't want to overload you with information, but the top half might struggle even if you get it to throw roots, as it will then not be grafted to growing stock. Citrus varieties are grafted onto vigorous growing stock. Your graft line is most likely, and unfortunately, the bulbous portion that has had the bark removed.

At this stage, you could try your hand at taking cuttings from live branches, but once again, they won't have growing stock on them. It is a big gap to span, but you could investigate bridge grafts, but they are a fairly advanced grafting technique.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jb1794
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell,

I’ll see how it goes and cross my fingers!! Unfortunately it may end up that we need to start again with a new tree. 

I’ll do my best!

thanks again

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects