Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive banana plant?

Tracy_Kerr
Just Starting Out

How to revive banana plant?

IMG_20240527_124457217.jpg

 and  now it looks like this 

IMG_20240901_181117129.jpg

Good evening, my son bought me a banana plant late last year as a  Christmas present. I live in Daisy Hill Vic. We get a lot of frost, and. l have to make sure everything l buy is frost-tolerant. He bought it from  Bunnings Ballarat, and he asked if ok for Daisy Hill Vic and was told yes. The plant grew really well and the first night of front it rotted 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to revive banana plant?

Hi @Tracy_Kerr,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

While it's not the ideal climate for your banana tree and it doesn't look in great condition, it still appears to be alive. Frost will damage leaves, but they should reshoot come Spring. 

Temperatures below -4°C will likely kill the plant but having a look at the temperature data from Daisy Hill, it doesn't appear to have gotten this low. 

I'd suggest removing the dead leaves and giving it a feed with PowerFeed Fertiliser Liquid Concentrate. You should also place the banana plant in the area of your yard that gets the most sun and water every 2-3 during the warmer months.

Allow me to tag @Noelle, our resident horticultural expert to see if she has any advice.

You might like to check out How To Grow And Care For Banana Plants for some further guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to revive banana plant?

Hi @Tracy_Kerr 

In your location, the banana plant really, as  needs a greenhouse over winter as it really isn't cold-tolerant. If that's not an option, then a sunny, north-facing veranda, sunroom or patio where it is well protected from southerly and south-westerly winds and frosts would suit it. Keeping it under cover when fro9sts are likely is essential.

While the leaves look damaged, the growing tip may still be OK, so give it some TLC as recommended by Jacob and it may continue to grow as the weather warms in spring.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects