Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove weeds in paving joints?

Thierry
Building a Reputation

How to remove weeds in paving joints?

Hi team

Hope all is well.

I would like to remove weeds in paving joints and stop weeds from growing.

1. How to remove weeds?

Did try using a normal kitchen knife, to remove all soil from joint, but time consuming.

2. What can I do to seal the paving joints?

Currently, I have triple washed sand and wondering if this will stop the weeds, if I cover the joints? Or do I need different sand?

IMG20230209194946.jpg

IMG20230209194928.jpg

IMG20230209194916.jpg

3. With the Triple washed sand, will it be able to act as mulch? As i have a few empty area with soil only, if i can cover them with sand. Appreciate any advice.

IMG20230209194939.jpg

Thanks

Thierry

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: paving joints

Hi @Thierry 

Looking at the photos you posted, it seems like the moss and weeds have gained a very deep foothold in the paving gaps. I suggest using a pressure washer and physically removing the larger weeds. Once you've removed all the weeds, I recommend putting fresh sand filler in the gaps. I propose spraying the gaps with Roundup 1.2L Fast Ready To Use Weedkiller as a shield against future weeds from taking root. In ideal conditions, the weedkiller should last about six months before you need to do a follow-up spray.

I also suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to prevent weeds from growing between patio bricks? by @SK.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL 

I will try using my gerni 3600 patio classic cleaner to remove the weeds in the joints. 

My understanding:

Once weeds removed, spray the weedkiller inside the empty gaps.

Then, fill in gap with sand. will the type of sand such as "triple washed sand" suitable to cover the gaps? (I will get this free)

Is that correct?

Note: i also have mortar leftovers, if this can be mixed with sand?? (around 3 years old)

Thanks

Thierry

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Thierry 

That sequence of steps you've mentioned will work just fine. If you wish to have extra protection, you can also spray the top of the gaps once the sand is in. I don't recommend adding your mortar leftovers as they usually have a short shelf life. If you are after a stronger gap filler, I suggest using Dingo 20kg Powerloc Paving Sand or Easy Mix 20kg Paver Bond Polymeric Sand.

There is of course the traditional method of mixing sand and cement. If you prefer this method, please make sure that you use new cement. Please make sure not to wash too deeply or the paver will become loose and uneven. Your goal is to remove the old gap sand along with most of the moss and weeds.

Please make sure to wear safety goggles when operating your pressure washer.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL 

Your suggestion to use for stronger gap such as dingo and easy mix dont have good reviews.

Given, im getting free triple washed sand , i will give this a go with filling in the gaps. Wont this be washed away when there's heavy rain?

Also, can i use that excess sand in the garden rock creek, hoping it will act as insulation against weeds.

With the same sand, i want to throw it on an empty space in garden , instead of having mulch 

Thanks Thierry

Hi @Thierry,

keeping the gaps weed-free will be a challenge. I have just relaid pavers on a side path of our house, and because it is sloping, the recent rains have washed away about 10mm of sand already.

I'm not a fan of weed killers, and gap sand can only do so much. Thinking outside the box, I am inclined to think we'll need something that seals and is flexible at the same time - maybe try silicone? What if you mixed silicone with sand and injected that mix into the gaps? I'd try this with a small test area first and observe how it stands the test of time. I haven't tried this myself yet.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Thierry,

I'd suggest using Yates 3L Ready To Use Path Weeder as it's designed to inhibit weeds for far longer than Roundup. 

You'll likely need to put the jet nozzle on your Gerni in order to blast the existing sand and moss/weeds out from between your pavers. Please remember to wear safety glasses as you do so, as the sand can get blasted back at you.

In order to use standard sand between your pavers, you'll need to fill the gaps and then water the sand in with your hose and a spray attachment. Once the sand is watered in, add more to the surface and brush into gaps; repeat this process until the sand is bedded in. The act of watering the sand in locks it into position. You'll have to replenish the sand every few years to top up what's been washed out.

Sand alone does not prevent weeds from growing in an area, whether that's between your pavers or in the garden. Most weeds will happily germinate in the sand. Most mulches for the garden would first require placing down a thick layer of newspaper over the area or using weed matting. You can then lay your sand or mulch.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects