Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove turf and install artificial grass?

wendychoo1009
Just Starting Out

How to remove turf and install artificial grass?

I am trying to save up some money by DIY this project. I need advise on the products and steps to remove the existing soil turf and install the  artificial grass.

1. How to remove the existing grass? Can I use the weed killer to remove them then dig them out? or can I use salt and hot water to kill them? What kind of salt can I use? How deep should I dig it out? 

2. What the cost effective base product to use? Any recommendation? 
3. Can I lay the artificial grass straight after the base product or I need to wait for a few days to let it settle down? 
4. what if it rains while I am doing the base? Does it matters? 
5. How deep should I lay the base? 

thanks for advice 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove turf and install artificial grass?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @wendychoo1009. It's terrfic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing artificial turf.

There's no need to kill the grass before removing it. However, digging up grass can be quite a labour-intensive job depending on the size of the area.

I've included the installation guide for artificial grass below. Typically, you would create a compacted base from aggregate and then add a layer of sand over the top of it. This provide a stable well draining base to lay you turf over.

The turf can be added over your base once it is compactor, no need to wait.

Raining during the preparation stage shouldn't be of huge concern, unless it's torrential and washes away material.

The base layer is generally around 50mm of roadbase and then 20mm of sand or crusher dust.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for replying. Are these the correct base that needs for the base? How many bags do I need for 8 x 4.5 m? 

IMG_2499.png

Hi @wendychoo1009,

Those are the correct materials.

You'd need around 1.8 cubic metres of road base and 0.7 cubic metres of sand.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects