Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prune Lilly pilly and deal with pests?

eddiegarden
Just Starting Out

How to prune Lilly pilly and deal with pests?

IMG_6042.jpeg

IMG_6043.jpeg

IMG_6045.jpeg

IMG_6046.jpeg

  

IMG_6047.jpeg

IMG_6048.jpeg

  

Hello! I planted these Lilly pilly backyard bliss last summer. I am wondering should I prune them to make them a nicer looking / bushier hedge? And how to prune them? Especially the second right one doesn’t look too nice.

some pests have been eating the leaves but I can’t find them. what should I use on them to repel pests? Or any plants would be a good idea to plant under them to repel pests? 

Some leaves also got some spots on and under leaves. 

Thank you!!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prune Lilly pilly and deal with pests?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @eddiegarden. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Lilly Pilly's care.

As far as Lilly Pilly's go, yours are looking very heathy. If you haven't already I'd recommend you apply fertiliser to assist them with putting on grow. I can recommend Osmocote Native which is a slow-release fertiliser. 

What height do you wish to achieve? If you want to screen the fence, I'd suggest waiting another season of growth before you keep the height in check. You could trim the height now to help encourage them to grow out, though you might end up stunting their height for a few years. The plants are fairly close together and will become bushier as they grow taller. You just don't want them to shoot right up above the fence without pruning, as they'll become lanky and not fill in between.

You can spray Eco oil on the plants to prevent many insects and bugs. I wouldn't be particularly concerned about the bite marks; something has just had a little snack.

As mentioned, overall, your plants look quite healthy. Get some fertiliser on them, and I'm sure you have them becoming denser in a short while.

Here's a helpful guide: How to grow and care for a Lilly Pilly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects