Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent water flowing under my fence from long high drive?

Simba1
Getting Established

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prevent water flowing under my fence from long high drive?

Hello @Simba1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about water flowing under your fence.

Generally, I would suggest using sleepers to cover any gaps at the bottom of your fence in combination with agi pipe and the building of a French drain to complete the setup. However, in order to give us a much better idea of what your fence looks like, would it be possible for you to post a photo of your fence line. We'll then be able to make recommendations on how to cover the gap and divert the water that's flowing to your fence. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Simba1
Getting Established

Hi Eric thanks for your reply,my biggest worry is getting by ladder up on the walls and getting stones much less sleepers up that high .Its at least 6 feet( sorry I am old school).

If we pay tradies I don’t know if we need landscapers,builders,plumbers or what it’s very narrow across .

Sorry I had a toolmaker husband who could fix,measure and build,modify anything and now it’s hard for me to explain things .My son can do most but needs me to advise what I want done first.So glad to have your help.

Hoping we can do it ourselves but if this fails will have to get someone ,my son mentioned cement sheeting nailed into wood base but then it has to be cut to shape not sure if Bunnings will do this.

Which fence line photo do you need please ?.the length of the wall,height,width which do you need ?.Did you get my original photos I looked back but could not see them.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Simba1 

It sounds like the structure is very high, can you please email your photos to workshop@bunnings.com.au and I will post them for you. Please send a photo of how high the fence is and how long the gap is.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Simba1
Getting Established

Hi Eric I did send photos ,did you get them ?…

if you did don’t they show you what you asked,no worries if you haven’t might be my issue I will try to get more later in the week .IMG_0557.pngIMG_0562.pngIMG_0561.pngIMG_0560.pngIMG_0558.pngIMG_0559.pngIMG_0558.png

Simba1
Getting Established

Hi Eric can you see photos thanks for your help ,let me know if you need more I am no IT expert haha I guess you can see that….just an old learner.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Simba1,

Thank you for sending through those photos, that has given us a much better understanding of the issues that you are facing.

The fence actually looks to be in great condition, except for the fibre cement sheeting that is attached to your side of the fence, which has broken and become mouldy.

Unfortunately, reinstating the fibre cement sheeting to your side of the fence will not prevent water from flowing under your fence as due to the lay of the land, water will always find a way through. If you are fine with the timber look, I would advise removing this fibre cement sheeting as it is creating an environment where water will get trapped, and mould will thrive. 

To help the issue of water flowing under your fence, it is best for you to speak with your neighbour as there is some requirement for cooperation between neighbours when it comes to water runoff. The best solution that I see is for your neighbour to run adequate drainage along their side of the fence to collect the water and divert it before it gets to the fence. They could use agi pipe and drainage gravel to create a french drain that runs parralel to the fence line and discharges to the gutter or a stormwater pipe. This will help collect any sub surface water and divert it away from your fence. They can also run drainage channel along their side of the fence line to collect and divert any surface water.

On your side of the fence, you can use the same sort of drainage, but prevention is only possible from their side of the fence.

If you were looking for someone to carry out this work, a drainage plumber or landscaper would be able to assist with this sort of work. You can find people who do this sort of work in your area using a service such as HiPages, Airtasker or True Local.

You might like to have a read of How to install garden drainage for some insight into the process of installing drainage.

Also, please allow me to tag some of our knowledgeable members to see if they have any solutions or insight that they can offer, @Nailbag, @Noyade, @TedBear, @Dave-1.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Morning @Simba1 

Thats a nice solid retaining wall you have and a fair drop to the ground. Can understand the frustration for sure.

My first suggestion is the same as @JacobZ 's and that is to have a chat with the neighbour and then your local council if it dosnt work out.

If you dont want to go that path then I would actually suggest a grill drain all the way down theside of the fence and then piped to your front gutter.

Something along these lines Everhard 3m EasyDRAIN Polymer Grate And Prejoined Channel There are a metal lid type ones as well. I will have it as close to the posts as possible and then you could grow shrubs or flowers if you wanted in front of it still.

It is just meant to cature the storm instances of water but not take everydrop away. If you wante dto take every drop away then you could have a concrete skirt on the side that is next to the fence. Up to the timber board. I personally would give it a go without the concrete. See how it collects the water.

Dave

Simba1
Getting Established

Thankyou Jacob ,but talking to the neighbour is out of the question unfortunately,I  placed water bags from Bunnings on his side with the help of the other neighbour beside me that neighbour watched and said he didn’t have time to help us when I returned from a night in hospital with heavy rain those heavily saturated bags were all thrown back over my fence.

He promised 6 years ago to place gravel and a concrete mix on his side but it never happened.

i asked about putting a drain on his side but he said he cannot because the underground electricity runs along the fence line.

So now desperation to try what has been suggested (and run by my son) thanks to  you and Dave-1

Simba1
Getting Established

Thankyou Dave ,please read my reply to Jacob.

i have had the Council out (in answer to you) but was told it’s not their problem all his buildings added to his property and driveway come under a private building firm and they issued all his permits this I don’t understand but then told I need to get in touch with them.Omg that means a Cilvil case and I know how difficult and timely they can be.The neighbour ignores my pleas to finish what he promised but being a female sorry I don’t mean to say that to all of you but it does show when I ask if he has time to discuss this with me.He does treat me rather hastily.Anyway enough from me and Thankyou ever so much with your time I will discuss with my son and follow through with some ideas you have presented.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects