Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to plan and install an irrigation system with timer & smart control?

Samara1
Having an Impact

How to plan and install an irrigation system with timer & smart control?

my back yard size is = 8.3m x 11m

how can I plan for irrigation system with timer & smart control to access it remotely when I am aways during holidays.

Any cost estimate please

1) Want water sprinkler for grass and water supply to garden beds.

2) Any Garden shed with shelfs in 1.5 depth on 2m concreteLandscape plan - 1.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Irrigation system with timer & smart control

Hi @Samara1,

To set up an irrigation system with a timer and smart control for your backyard, you’ll first want to consider both your lawn and garden beds. For the lawn, pop-up sprinklers are an excellent option. These sprinklers stay hidden when not in use, maintaining the neat appearance of your grass, and they provide good coverage, ensuring even watering across the entire lawn. For the garden beds, drip irrigation would be ideal. This system delivers water directly to the roots of your plants, minimizing water waste and reducing the risk of over-watering.

A smart irrigation controller will allow you to manage the system remotely, making it perfect for when you’re away on holiday. Many modern systems connect to your phone via an app, enabling you to adjust watering schedules based on weather conditions or plant needs. Some popular smart brands include K-Rain and Rain Bird, both of which offer reliable, app-controlled options.

In terms of cost, expect to budget around $400-$800 for the system, depending on the size and complexity of the installation. Pop-up sprinklers, drip lines, fittings, and the smart controller will make up most of the cost. If you prefer to hire someone to install the system, you’ll need to add labour costs to this estimate. Check out the Pope irrigation website, which will be helpful when selecting your components.

As for your garden shed, we offer several options in the 1.5m depth range. A popular choice could be the Absco 1.52m  which comes in a compact size ideal for storing garden tools and supplies. You can place this shed on your 2m concrete slab for added stability. As for shelving, it would be best to invest in some robust tiered shelving, which will allow you to store items with considerable weight.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects