Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make lawn thick and green again?

Josh_H
Just Starting Out

How to make lawn thick and green again?

20240827_171915.jpg

20240827_171912.jpg

Hey Team, I am looking at reviving my lawn to make it thick and green again. It appears I have multiple grass types and was wondering what this section of grass is and how to go about repairing the entire lawn to the same grass type whilst making it thicker and greener? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lawn Renno

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Josh_H. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a lawn.

It's likely a combination of Buffalo and Kikuyu or Couch. If repaired lawn seed has been used in the past, it could also have a range of thin-bladed grasses designed to infill. There is nothing inherently wrong with having a mix of grasses, and in some situations, it can be better as their individual qualities deal with shade and full sun better. My advice would be to feed your lawn and encourage its health. Here's a helpful guide: How to use lawn fertiliser. Once it looks fuller and healthier, you can decide whether having multiple grasses is something you do not like the look of.

This approach is suggested because removing grass that has blended into other varieties is extremely difficult. For instance, if you wanted to return the lawn to just Buffalo, the easiest method would be to remove the entire lawn and start again. The only time you can really remove a certain grass from a lawn is if it's just in one location. You can kill it back and re-lay turf over the removed area.

Your lawn looks fine to me. It just needs a decent feed, and with the weather warming up, I trust it will look great in no time.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects