Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay lawn after outdoor reno?

fedecz
Getting Established

How to lay lawn after outdoor reno?

Hi there, during the winter we did an outdoor Reno retiling most outdoor areas. The thing is that our lawn is completely destroyed. Tradies would wash all their tools with cement and grout and other things right in the lawn. 

Now the lawn has a rather thick layer of washed out cement and other things. It's not super hard, but it's not soft either. 

I know that I probably have to put a new underlay before putting new lawn. But this is the main question, I don't want to go through all that hard work, if in a few years from now the lawn is going to die because I didn't do anything to that grey stuff on the lawn. I don't know if it's going to break down eventually and all good, or if it would stop the lawn roots from going any further. 

There's quite a bit of rubble ass we'll which I'll do my best to remove.

I'm attaching pictures too

1000038171.jpg

1000038173.jpg

1000038174.jpg

1000038172.jpg

Ideas? Thoughts ? Thanks so much.

Fed

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: lawn after outdoor reno

Hi @fedecz,

In the interest of establishing a healthy lawn, I'd encourage you to remove all the rubble and scrape the top layer of soil to remove as much of the building waste as possible. The cement and other materials could cause issues by burning sensitive new roots of the turf and may create a barrier that prevents proper root growth.

Once you've removed the debris and scraped the surface, I recommend aerating the soil and applying a gypsum soil conditioner to help break down any remaining cement particles and improve soil structure. Adding a new layer of quality topsoil at least 50mm thick would create a fresh foundation for your lawn. This will give your new turf the best chance to thrive without running into problems down the line.

Here's a helpful guide: How to lay turf.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need further advice.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects