Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to identify my lawn type?

audzzz
Finding My Feet

How to identify my lawn type?

Hi gardening gurus!

I really would need some help please with identifying my lawn type so I can purchase the seeds to repair some of the bald patchy areas. I moved into my new place few months ago and the lawn was dying at that time, which explains the horrible looking lawn below. It looked slightly better now with more greens despite still lots of weeds to be taken care of.

From what I have checked, it is definitely not the buffalo lawn, I have got some mixed opinions from friends - kikuyu/tall fescue 

I am located in Melbourne, and have a north facing yard if that helps a bit. So sorry I am at my wits end as I am afraid to use the wrong seed and get a “mixed” lawn. 

IMG_1136.jpeg

IMG_1144.jpeg

IMG_1138.jpeg

IMG_1143.jpeg

IMG_6285.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: need help with identifying my lawn type

Hi @audzzz,

It's obviously a very thin-bladed grass. One that springs to mind is Kentucky Bluegrass. However, it could just be a mix of thin-bladed grass, which is often sold in packets to fill in areas. I'm not overly convinced this is a lawn that's been sown or was selected. It could just be a weedy type of grass that had naturally taken over the area after the established lawn died off.

Thin-bladed grasses are not very hard-wearing, so you might like to consider whether re-turfing with something like Sir-Walter Buffalo would be a more viable solution.

Let me tag @Adam_W to see if he has any thoughts on the variety.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

thanks for your feedback. I’m absolutely clueless, just wondering if there are others we could seek advice from as well? 

thank you so much. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Let me tag @homeinmelbourne, @mich1972 and @Noelle to see if they have any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @audzzz 

What is growing is definitely not kikuyu - it is far too fine. It could be a fescue (with outbreaks of clover included) but I am inclined to agree with Mitchell that it isn't a 'sown' grass but rather something that was either in the area or soil prior to you moving in, or has blown in on the wind.

My humble opinion is that you should consider killing it all off and either sowing a lawn seed blend suitable for your area or turfing the area with a hard wearing, drought-tolerant grass like Sir Walter.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects