Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix cracked garden statue?

GeorgieD
Finding My Feet

How to fix cracked garden statue?

Hello, I’ve a garden statue which was cracked and broken in parts. Has been glued together but now need to fill some gaps / cracks & large chips. What is the best material this? Plaster of Paris or something else more suitable? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you, G.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden statue is cracked

Hi @GeorgieD,

Thank you for your question about repairing a garden statue and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

The best method of repair would come down to the material that the garden statues are made from, but plaster of paris is more than likely not suitable as it can't be exposed to the rain.

Is it possible to get some photos of the statues and an idea of what they are made of? 

Let me know if you need a hand uploading images, I'm more than happy to help.

My assumption is that your garden statue will be made of either stone, clay or concrete as they are far more resistant to weathering. With this assumption in mind, you could use Concremate Expanding Cement for the larger gaps, and Concrete Crack Filler for any finer cracks in the statue.

Once the cracks are repaired, you might like to seal the statute using BondCrete to give the repair some extra protection from the rain. The mixing ratio for this to be used as a sealer is 1 part BondCrete to 4 parts water.

Let me know if this helps and if you needed a hand uploading images.

Jacob

Thank you JacobZ. See image, possibly concrete?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GeorgieD,

As the statue appears to be concrete, the method I have advised above should be a good solution for you.

Before using the Concremate, I'd ensure that any loose material is removed from the crack so that it has a good solid surface to bond to. Giving the cracks a good brush with a wire brush will do the trick.

Let me know if you have any further questions or require any assistance along the way, I am here to help.

Jacob

Okay thanks. What do you suggest to clean the surface overall? It has soil stains and seems quite porous. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @GeorgieD,

I'd suggest using a concrete cleaning product such as Chemtech Concrete And Driveway Cleaner in conjunction with a stiff bristled brush such as this Sabco Bamboo All Purpose Heavy Duty Scrub.

Ensure you follow the manufacturers recommendations for mixing ratios and wear all relevant personal protective equipment, specifically gloves, long sleeve shirt and eye protection.

Let me know how you go.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects