Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create brick barrier for crushed dust?

tombot1974
Finding My Feet

How to create brick barrier for crushed dust?

I am looking to create a barrier using brick because my front yard slops and I'll use the bricks (or alternative) as a raised barrier so that I can level out the crushed dust otherwise its a slope. In the past the previous owners used bark in front yard and it got washed away down the street.

As you can see from pics you can roughly where I want them to go. And I thought raised bricks would be better and more sturdy as a barrier as I tried to think of other things. I looked at garden edges but felt they were too thin and easy to trip over where maybe bricks less likely? The bricks will sit flush with the path but raised. 
1. Can you recommend how I might be able to secure the bricks there? Morter? The crushed dust will be about 70mm deep where the dirt is. But I'll create the barrier first but not sure how the bricks will be secured while I add the dust and tamper it down with a machine

2. An alternative to the brick? Im trying to avoid wood but wondering if anything else

bricks1.jpegbricks2.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create brick barrier for crushed dust?

Hi @tombot1974,

To create a sturdy brick barrier for your crushed dust, start by digging a shallow trench along the area where the bricks will be placed. The trench should be deep enough to allow at least half the height of the bricks to sit below ground level, providing stability. For a standard brick, this usually means digging about 100mm deep. Or if you want the bricks more exposed, you can not dig the trench as deep.

Once the trench is ready, you'll want to prepare a mortar mix by adding water and mixing. Lay a thick, even layer of this mortar mix at the base of the trench, then begin placing the bricks into the mortar, ensuring they are level and properly aligned. Tap the bricks down gently with a rubber mallet to secure them, and use a spirit level to keep the top edges flush and consistent. Allow the mortar to set slightly before backfilling the sides of the bricks with soil or compacted material to help hold them in place.

For extra stability, you can also add a second layer of mortar between the bricks, pressing them together and smoothing the joints with a pointing tool. Once the barrier is complete, allow the mortar to cure for at least 24-48 hours before filling the area with crushed dust. As you tamp down the crushed dust, take care to avoid disturbing the newly set bricks.

If you're looking for an alternative to bricks, concrete edging blocks or cement pavers on their side could provide a similar level of sturdiness while offering a different aesthetic. Concrete edging is less likely to trip people up compared to thinner garden edging, and it can be installed in a similar way to bricks, using a mortar base for secure placement. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects