Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover grate below ground level in backyard?

TandSWerner
Finding My Feet

How to cover grate below ground level in backyard?

Hi there,

I need help with what I can do to cover this terrible drain in the middle of my backyard.

The previous owner put the pot plant in the drop, however I'm now looking for a better solution as I have a toddler and a young dog who are now becoming interested in the drain; and it is a complete hazard.

My husband has mentioned extending the paved area and removing the garden beds completely, then squaring off at the corner of the drain and covering it to the same level - but I have no idea.

I'm also open to leaving the garden bed and somehow incorporating the drain - though this means less usable space.

Please help!

Hopefully the below photos provide enough context!

Grate 3.jpgGrate 2.jpgGrate 1.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to cover grate below ground level in backyard?

Hello @TandSWerner 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about the drain grate in your garden.

I propose building a timber cover to the size of the brick surround. I suggest using SpecRite 90 x 19mm Merbau Pre-Oiled Decking - Random Lengths in combination with 70 x 35mm Outdoor Framing H3 Treated Pine - 2.4m. I recommend putting a 5mm gap between panels to accommodate the movement of the Merbau panels. I've placed an image below to give you an idea of how it can be built. 

I propose adjusting the height of the timber cover so that it will be at the same height as the brick surround. I suggest placing your plant right over the timber cover to prevent it from being opened or lifted out. I suggest using Zenith 8 - 10 x 50mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Timber Screws to hold the assembly together.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @TandSWerner 

I think that what @EricL @has suggested is perfect if you want to keep the garden bed in place. But your husbands solution to extend the paving out and squaring it off around the grate is also just as good if your after more paved area. However you would still need to install some form of cover to avoid the drop in height. You can either make one, simply rest pavers (can’t be fixed) in place or purchase ready made pit covers. 

regards Nailbag. 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @TandSWerner 

I am a little reluctant in outright covering of the grill and drain 😕 I agree its a pain and would be far nicer covered up but there must be a reason why such a large drain is there.

Do you know where it goes? Is their anything in the documentation of your house to say that nothing must be built over it?

I have had a house where down the side nothing was "supposed" to be built as it was at one point a watercourse.

My current place has a sewage inspection giant concrete lid on it. I was attempting to grow grass over it  a few years back as no one had touched it in the previous 5 years... Was two thirds of grass over it and then one night the water board came out in the middle of the night and rippied it open to flush/repair a blockage lol So lucky I never built anything over it. 

I would be checking with the waterboard first, if they dont know if there is anything there then a plumber would be my next step to sort it out before the last step of reusinging/shringing it or covering it up.

If in the inbetween time I would actually make a finer mesh grill to go over the whole large galvinised grill, kind of like a RapidMesh 900 x 1200mm 25 x 25mm Silver Wire Mesh Panel or a finer mesh, there is a 6.5mm one but the concern that the drain is neccasary so a fine mesh could be blocked with debris over it a lot easier. It could be a needed inspection grill but the water board will know.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TandSWerner,

I agree with @Dave-1—your best first step is to check your house plans for any mention of an easement or call your local water board for more details. Because of the size of the grate, it’s likely that the water board owns it and that nothing can be built over or around it; the grate can’t be altered or covered.

If this grate is meant for surface water collection, covering it could cause problems during heavy rain. Blocking it might prevent proper water drainage, potentially damaging your home or nearby properties.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

@TandSWerner 

both @MitchellMc and @Dave-1 make very good points on covering council drainage grates that I should of picked up. You definitely have an easement on your property which will show up on your section 32 documents if you still have them. Nationally access points can't be permanently covered. But you can buy approved vented covers from here which many new home builds have located somewhere in their property. Double checking with local water authorities will advise if this is ok.

Nailbag.

Thank you @Dave-1 - there is no easement and it's not a council or waterboard drain and we know that we are fine to cover it up.

Thank you @MitchellMc  - there is no easement and it's not a council or waterboard drain and we know that we are fine to cover it up.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TandSWerner,

If that is the case, then I'd suggest either @EricL or @Dave-1's solutions would be good options.

Let us know if you wanted some further guidance.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects