Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to convert stump grinding fines to soil?

rajenzed
Getting Established

How to convert stump grinding fines to soil?

Hi folks,

I have left over fine material from stump grinding that I would like to convert to soil by next spring for planting a veggie patch. The material is around 2 to 3 inches thick.

I know it’s all carbon and I need to add nitrogen and cook it under a tarp to enhance the conversion process. 

what is the best source of nitrogen to add?

Lawn clippings, Blood and bone, Urea, sea weed fertiliser or nitrogen rich fertilisers?

thanks in advance 

5 July 2023

Brisbane

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to convert stump grinding fines to soil?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rajenzed. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about producing soil.

Is there any reason why you need to convert it to soil? Currently, it's serving as a lovely much that will help retain moisture in your soil beneath. It will break down by itself over the next year and add nutrients to the soil. We still have three months to spring; by then, the fines will be well on their way to decomposing naturally. I believe that unless there is a reason to accelerate the process, I would leave it be. People pay good money for this type of mulch to add on top of their veggie garden soil.

You could certainly add some green material, such as lawn clippings, and cover the lot with black plastic after mixing it through. It would be worth pulling the plastic back every couple of weeks and watering the mix.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell for the quick response.

I was think it’s too thick as a mulch. I don’t have a big lawn so only a very limited supply of clippings. Therefore exploring other means to adding more N.

But I take your point, for a C to N ratio of 30:1, I won’t need much.

Thanks again!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's a bit thick down the far end, so you could spread that out, @rajenzed. In three months' time, it will have compressed and decayed down to half this thickness by itself. Typically if you were going to spread sugar cane over the area, you'd have it at least 2 inches thick. The thickness is required to retain moisture and warmth.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Great thanks.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects