Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to care for drying eggplant?

balaji27
Having an Impact

How to care for drying eggplant?

Hello Team,

Would you please advise me what is the issue with my egg plants and how to resolve it? Some leaves are shrunk, dry and edges are gone, please refer to the pics.

Thanks,
Balaji.20231206_164856.jpg20231206_164847.jpg20231206_164851.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to care for drying eggplant?

Thanks for your question about your eggplant, @balaji27. Let me tag our garden experts @Noelle and @mich1972 to see if they can assist. 

Have you read the Bunnings guide How to grow eggplant? It contains advice on how to care for this vegie which you might find useful.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @balaji27 

It looks like it's the older leaves that are most affected, and this would be normal. As the plant grows and produces lots of new leaves and growth at the top of the plant, the older leaves will have outlived their usefulness and tend to dry off and drop - the plant cannot sustain all the leaves it produces over its lifetime.

The brow edges, in my opinion, may be not enough water deep in the soil where the roots are, particularly along the edge of the bed. I see you have drippers - they may be watering one side of the plant sufficiently bt the other side may not be getting as much moisture. Otherwise the plants look quite healthy.

Thanks Akanksha for sharing the guide, it is very useful.

Best regards

Balaji.

Thanks Noelle, now I understand the science behind it, much appreciated.

I will ensure the plant is watered all sides to ensure all parts of the root gets enough water.

Best regards

Balaji.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects