Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build shade for a raised garden bed?

Weedsta123
Just Starting Out

How to build shade for a raised garden bed?

I have a raised garden bed about 2.5m long.

I need to shade vegies and herbs from the hot sun.Is polypipe and shade cloth ok.?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: polypipe tubing

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Weedsta123. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about creating a shaded garden bed.

That would be a great solution.

If the depth allows it I'd recommend you use 20mm electrical conduit, as polypipe tends to get quite soft in the sun and could collapse. If you can't achieve the required curve with the electrical conduit then stiff wire could be inserted into the polypipe before bending to aid rigidity.

If you run the conduit over the 2.5m length it would be easier to achieve the curve than from front to back as that might be a bit tight of a distance to curve it within.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
R4addZ
Getting Established

Re: polypipe tubing

Hi @Weedsta123 

It isn't that expensive to buy a bending spring for PVC conduit/piping and if you do, use some wire tied to the end of it to make sure you can get it out after the bending. The other alternative is a very old method and that is to pack the pipe very firmly with sand and seal the ends before heating and bending. The sand can move as it is bent but prevents it from collapsing.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects