Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a retaining wall?

Mo2
Growing in Experience

How to build a retaining wall?

Hello. 

I am planning to level the back yard. Please guide and give suggestions where you feel like 

Installing 2 layers of 200X50 mm timber sleepers and adjoining them with C and H post ( I will take off the existing post and install 0.9m post so it can accommodate one more sleeper)

Fill the area with garden mix

layout the natural turf

Q 1. Do I have to color the sleeper before installation for longevity?

Q 2 . The total height of the retaining wall is 400mm. Do I need to have drainage?

anything else I have to consider before starting the project?

Access to backyard is narrow and I have to use wheelbarrow to move the soil. 

IMG_5698.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Backyard - dig filling and garden makeover

Hi @Mo2,

It sounds like you're on the right track with your plan to level the backyard. One thing to consider is whether the additional sleepers will be enough to achieve a level surface, particularly if there's a significant gradient in your yard. If the slope is steep, you might need more than two layers of sleepers to ensure the area is properly levelled.

The timber sleepers you’re using are likely H4 treated, which makes them resistant to moisture and ground contact, so there’s no need for additional treatment for longevity. However, if you're after a different look or colour, staining or painting the sleepers before installation is a good option. It’s much easier to do this before you fill the area, and it can offer some extra protection if you use a quality outdoor stain.

For drainage, even though your retaining wall will only be 400mm high, it’s important to include proper drainage to prevent water buildup behind the wall. Excess water can create pressure, leading to structural issues over time. Installing a perforated drainage pipe (often referred to as an agi pipe) at the base of the wall, covered with gravel, will help direct water away and reduce the risk of future problems, especially with the garden mix and turf retaining moisture.

You should also make sure to compact the soil well after filling to avoid any settling or uneven patches when you lay the turf. We hire compactors for this. Given that access to your backyard is narrow and you'll need to use a wheelbarrow, it's worth planning the job over a couple of days to avoid exhaustion. Just keep in mind that it may take a bit longer to move the soil, but taking your time will ensure a better result in the end. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mo2
Growing in Experience

Re: Backyard - dig filling and garden makeover

Thanks Mitchell for the quick response, I really appreciate that. 

Can you please advise the size of metal post that can be suitable if I am stacking three levels of 200 X 50 mm H4 Treated Pine sleepers? Is 1.2m sufficient? 0.6 m in ground and 0.6 outside. 

And, I have storm water pipe in the garden and this area will be filled up with soil for levelling the garden. My question is how can I raise that pipe so it’s opening end is at the ground level?

IMG_5708.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects