Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach Merbau Specrite panels to Colorbond fence?

nerol84
Just Starting Out

How to attach Merbau Specrite panels to Colorbond fence?

Hi.
We would like the attached the Merabu spekright wooden panels to our colourbond fence. We are installing them horizontally and will need to attach 2 panels in hight and 2 panels horizontal (4 panels all together). 
What is the best way to attach them to the fence and each other? What screws /hardware will we need to achieve this.
Thanks.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach Merbau Specrite panels to Colorbond fence?

Hi @nerol84,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Unfortunately, Colorbond fence panels are not designed to be load-bearing so there is no advisable method of installing Merbau panels directly to your fence. The weight of 4 of these panels is considerable and would cause issues if they were attached directly to the fence.

There may be an alternative method using timber posts and rails to support the panels and give a similar look while still retaining the structural integrity of the fence.

Is it possible to get some photos of where you would like to install the panels? This will help our members to offer their best advice based on your specific circumstances.

Let me know if you need a hand uploading photos, I'd be happy to help.

Also, allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any ideas @Dave-1, @Noyade, @Nailbag.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @nerol84 I would have to agree with @JacobZ that fixing any additional significant weight those panels have will over time will deteriorate the structural integrity of the fence causing it to lean. Any future replacement/repairs would then most likely need to be all on yourself to make good. Being colourbond, it sounds like it might already be relatively new.

As @JacobZ suggested, some photos would help and what's your main goal for wanting to clad the fence? An overall distance measurement will help this end to please.

Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @nerol84 

I am agreeing with not attaching anything to the fence as @JacobZ and @Nailbag have said. Any extar weight on a fence will cause more issues then what its worth.

Some photos of the fence and general area would be handy to work out a way around the issue tho.

Until then I would suggest some free standing posts with timber rails (top and bottom) on them to support the panels. I would probarly go for 3 posts so the rails dont sag withtime.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects