Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY stepping stones on a budget

Herrenovacation
Having an Impact

DIY stepping stones on a budget

I am currently creating a sanctuary garden in my backyard under a massive magnolia tree. When I first bought my home the yard was pretty bland, and under the tree was a big dirt patch where only weeds grow. I really wanted travertine or bluestone stepping stones to meander through a tropical garden but my budget just didn't allow for it due to the size of stepping stones I wanted. Although some of the materials add up I managed to reuse a few things lying around the house like the chicken wire, scrap timber and some cardboard boxes. 

Check out how I made DIY stepping stones below and also take a look at my profile for other projects in my sanctuary garden like my frog hotel & pond. 

Materials

Cement (I used white cement

Sand (dependent on the cement you buy)

Chicken wire (I found mine in the shed)

Cardboard box (I had a few boxes from an online order but you can get secondhand boxes at bunnings or other shops)

Duct Tape

Plastic paint sheet

Paver sealer (optional)

Tools

Pegs (I used some old tent pegs)

Large Bucket 

Tamper (I made one out of scrap timber)

Sander 

Drill (Optional)

Mixer  

Tape Measure 

Gloves

Mask 

Scissors 

Steps

Step 1

You need to make the stepping stone template. Cut a piece of cardboard 10cm high and as long as you wish (this will depend on the size of the stepping stones you want). 

Wrap the cardboard in the duct tape and join both ends together. Do a few of these so you can do a few at a time. I made five and reused them a few times. 

1000019212.jpg

Step 2

Prepare the area. I placed mine under a the tree in a bare dirt patch so there wasn't too much prep for me although I did flatten and compact the ground with a homemade tamper. You may also need to use sand or gravel here although I didn't my soil is quite sandy. 

1000019213.jpg

Step 3

Place a template in the shape you are wanting. Cut a piece of the plastic drop sheet and lay inside and peg template down. Cut chicken wire to size and place inside. 

1000019215.jpg

Step 4

Mix cement as per instructions on bag. Depending on your drill you can buy a mixer attachment or you can just mix by hand. Pour cement and level the best you can, remember you want them to look natural so I did this by hand and didn't make it too perfect. 

1000019218.jpg

Tip 1: Use safety gear while completing this

Tip 2: Think about the colour of the steeping stones you want and use a cement that will help align with your vision.

Tip 3: White cement goes off quickly so do not let it sit too long before starting the project. Some of my steeping stones took a lot longer to get the look I wanted because of the lumps. 

Step 5

After waiting a week take the template away, give the top & edges a light sand and seal. 

1000019219.jpg

Step 6

And finally enjoy! 

I have started planting native violet & dichondra around mine. 

1000019464.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY stepping stones on a budget

Hello @Herrenovacation 

Thank you so much for sharing the steps on how to make stepping stones. What a clever way to make cardboard form work. This is so much easier than building it out of timber and creating unique shapes is a breeze. 

I had not thought of sealing the steps, but your idea is fantastic as it will extend the life of the concrete by preventing mould and mildew from infesting the body of the step.

Many thanks for sharing.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Herrenovacation
Having an Impact

Thanks @EricL 

Yes working out how to do the form work was the longest part of the process. I had been researching how to make concrete steeping stones for a while and it seamed all the form work I had seen was too structured or from a material I couldn't find in australia/order online. I even looked into if I could use garden edging but again it gave me less opportunity to make them a unique shape which I think makes them look more natural. I remember thinking cardboard would be perfect but it would get wet and break from the cement, that's when i come up with the idea to cover it in duct tape. 

I made one at first and tested it and it turned out way better than I expected (pictured below), so I got stuck into making more and I now have about 15 in total. 

20231011_141746.jpg

Insposeeker
Growing in Experience

@Herrenovacation what a great idea!

The white stepping stones and colour pop of the bromeliads looks great. You will have to share an updated image once the native vilot grows out. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects