Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY Rainwater Collection System

Caitlin_
Just Starting Out

DIY Rainwater Collection System

I am planning to build a DIY rainwater collection system using food grade barrels. It is for a tiny house and needs to be easily movable so I thought Speedfit pipes might be a good option. Originally I planned to use the 22mm range but I now see that many of the 15mm parts are cheaper and 15mm valves are more widely available. Would 15mm pipes be okay for connecting the rainwater barrels or would 22mm be better? I will probably connect the system to a small pump. Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Rainwater Collection System

Hello @Caitlin_ 

Thanks for sharing your question about your rainwater collection system. Generally, it would always be advantageous to have a larger pipe set such as the 22mm. It reduces the chance of the pipe being overwhelmed by a sudden gush of water when the rainwater is flowing very fast.

Again, it's better to use the larger pipe set especially when using a water pump. It reduces the strain on the pump and provides better flow. Just keep in mind that the larger the diameter of the pipe, the better the flow will be.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects