Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use worm tea on natives?

chickenhead
Getting Established

Can you use worm tea on natives?

Hiya team! 

Is worm tea okay to use on an all native garden? Internet seems u clear on it 😊

Ali

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Worm tea

Hi @chickenhead,

Thank you for your question about using worm tea in native gardens.

I can't see any reason you'd have issues with this as worms are present in native ecosystems and worm tea is essentially a natural fertiliser.

Allow me to tag @Noelle to see if she has any thoughts.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @chickenhead 

There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't use worm tea on native plants! As Jacob has said, it is a natural form of nutrition and doesn't contain anything that could be harmful to9 your plants.

Love this.  Thanks dream team.  As always super amazing.  

Whilst I am at it, aside from using https://www.bunnings.com.au/scotts-osmocote-25l-native-premium-potting-mix_p2961492, do you have any recommendations on how to best nurture my native garden?  

I recently made the mistake of repositioning some of my native plants and they instantly died, even after I trimmed them back to try to revive them.  So I am basically trying to show the remainder of the plants (that have survived or didn't move) some love. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @chickenhead,

I'd suggest using Scotts Osmocote 500g Native Controlled Release Fertiliser as opposed to the potting mix. This is a controlled release fertiliser that will break down over time releasing the nutrients your natives need for longer. Ensure you follow the manufacturer's instructions on the quantity of application based on your garden area.

It's also a good idea to water deeply, but infrequently to encourage deep root growth. In the establishment stage, this is roughly 1-2 times a week depending on soil circumstances. Ensure the water is moist, but not waterlogged. Native plants are adapted to handle periods of drought so once they are established this can be reduced to once every 2-4 weeks. 

Mulching your gardens is also a good way to keep weeds down, retain moisture and improve soil health. Natural mulches such as this Pine Bark Mulch will break down over time releasing nutrients into the soil. It will also act as an insulative layer, keeping the soil warmer during the cold months which is beneficial for root growth and overall plant health.

Promoting an environment that is good for native wildlife is also a great idea. Bird feeders and bird baths are a great way to attract wildlife to your garden, which will help to increase ecological diversity which is always a good thing for native plants.

You might like to check out How To Design A Thriving Native Garden and Australian Native Tree Growing Guide for some further information.

Also, allow me to tag @Noelle to see if she has any other advice.

Jacob

Love this. So fantastic. Thanks team! 

Hi again @chickenhead 

Native plants generally do not like being dug up and moved once they have settled in to a spot in the garden. Once they have been planted out initially, leave them well along or they will deeply resent it, as you have found out.

Those still remaining would appreciate the sort of attention suggested by Jacob - some native fertiliser every 6 months and the occasional drink during extended hot dry periods.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects