Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can anyone help identify this plant?

noooooidea
Just Starting Out

Can anyone help identify this plant?

Hi, I'm wondering whether anyone can help me identify this plant (2 pictures below). Thank you!

Unknown plantUnknown plant

Unknown plant 2Unknown plant 2

The leafs are oval shaped with jagged edges, and the plant produces a small white flower. Google image search suggests it's Helleborus lividus (1 picture below), but the unknown plant's leaf does not appear veiny and the flower it grows does not have the yellow centre. So I'm wondering if the unknown plant is closely related to Helleborus lividus.

Helleborus lividusHelleborus lividus

I wish I can share more photos of the unknown plant and its flower for better identification. Unfortunately I accidently mowed the plant a few weeks ago, and all that remains is a bit of stem and root above ground that doesn't grow ever since (1 picture below), even when I've been watering them daily. Is there any way that I can rescue the plant now? Or is it considered dead? 

Unknown plant 3Unknown plant 3

Thank you in advance!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can anyone help identify this plant? Thank you!

Hello @noooooidea 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your plants.

I'm not entirely confident what the first two are but the third picture does look like a Helleborus lividus. I'm sorry to hear you accidentally ran it over with your mower. However, if the plant is resilient, it should grow back to provide more clues. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their opinion on what kind of plants you have.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL,

Thank you so much for your help!

Sorry that I didn't explain the pictures well. To clarify, the third picture is a picture of Helleborus lividus I found online that looks similar to the unknown plant, but the unknown plant does not have veiny leaves, and I think unknown plant's flower have white petal but don't have the yellow centre.

Hi @noooooidea 

Unknown 1 and 2 both look like hellebores, but not Heleborus lividus.  More probably varieties of H argutifolius, which have foliage similar to your pics.

Hi @Noelle

I cannot thank you enough! The leaves does look similar to H Argutifolius even though the flower color is slightly different. I'll look into varieties of Hellebores and H Argutifolius specifically in case I need one to replicate the original plant.

Thank you so much once again for help! 

Hello again

There are many dozens of named varieties of hellebores ranging from pure white single flowers to deep purple doubles and frilly ones, so yours could be any one of them :smile:

Got it, thank you for the advice! 😊

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects