Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where to find free pallets?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Where to find free pallets?

Pallet.pngMost Bunnings stores will happily provide you with free pallets whenever they are available. Just speak to one of the helpful team members in the Timber Yard at your local store and they will be able to point you in the right direction.

To avoid disappointment, we always recommend to give the store a call before visiting to ensure they have supply. 

Pallets come in a variety of shapes and sizes. 

Clever and creative Bunnings Workshop members have used recycled pallet timber in a wide variety of different projects. For ideas and inspiration, check out our Top 10 most popular pallet projects

Our How-to section also includes several pallet projects with full step-by-step instructions, Guides include:

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Where to find free pallets?

Hello @adrian7174

I've just been in contact with Bunnings Box Hill, I'm afraid they've just run out for the day. This tells me that there are a lot of D.I.Y. enthusiasts in that area that are looking out for free pallets. The customer service team member suggested to try and call on Friday or next week. I also recommend trying the other stores in the area, just remember to call first to make sure they have some for pickup.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Re: Free Pallet

Hi I have a new natural Stones Crazy pavers for 17 sqrt m that need to bundle in a pallet to be picked up. I don't know how to do it and where to get the free pallets. I live in Truganina is there a place closer to me that can help me pls

20221127_184356.jpg

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @theryne. Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you here.

Have you tried calling or visiting your local Bunnings store to see if they have pallets available? If your closest store doesn't have any maybe others nearby will.

I've also found that factories and other businesses in industrial estates sometimes leave unwanted pallets out on the nature strip. If there are none out on the street you can also try asking at the front desk of the business.

What do you mean that you "don't know how to do it"? Do you mean you don't know how to pack and transport the pavers on the pallets?

My concern would be that stacking the pavers on a pallet could cause some of the pavers to break, especially if you hit a bump in the road.

Let me tag a couple of experienced members, @TedBear and @JoeAzza, to see if they have any suggestions they can share.

Brad

hi Brad,

thanks for the advice, i dont know how to put the pallet together -strong enough so i can stack the pavers inside. Someone will pick up the pavers but it need to be bundle up in the pallets so no issue with that.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @theryne, a pallet doesn't have an inside. They are flat boards and just designed to make it easier for items to be picked up by a fork lift,  nothing else. If that is what is happening, then I  suggest that you pack the stone pieces in  cross-cross pattern such that they interlock, similar to how we lay bricks. Then you'll need to place a net over it to pull it down and make it act as one unit, so they don't slide around on the pallet. Any chance that they'll go into a trailer instead? (i.e. something with sides.)

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @theryne ,

further to my previous suggestion, I also think it would be wise to

1. Wrap each paver in newspaper if possible,

2. Place in groups into cardboard boxes 

3. Fill the boxes with packing peanuts so they can't move about 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/wrap-move-100g-packing-peanuts_p0220410

4. Reinforce the boxes with strapping tape such as

https://www.bunnings.com.au/wrap-move-15mm-x-50m-blue-packaging-strapping_p2610086

(You may want to use wider strapping tape).

For handling sake, I suggest that you pack up these bundles on the pallet. 

If you tried to lift the bundled slabs on, you'd likely break the box bottom and probably break yourself too.

Thanks, I'm still waiting to find more pallets to build the cage to put all the stones, as for now, i only have 2. It is difficult for me to get ore coz I don't have a truck.

C3vin
Finding My Feet

garage workshop pallets

have a friend that gets me pallets by the truck load and i am working on lap desks

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: garage workshop pallets

Hi @C3vin,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is great that you have shared your first project post and I am sure it will not be the last. How are you making the lap desks? Do you have photos you can share with us? 

Katie

mmaliha
Just Starting Out

Re: Where to find free pallets?

Hi. I'm looking to create a rustic picnic table set up and was wondering if bunnings rouse hill or macgraths hill might jave any available for pick-up this week sometime? Do I just call and ask?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects