Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is a Makita router compatible with an Ozito table?

MervynWh
Getting Established

Is a Makita router compatible with an Ozito table?

I have a Ozito router table that needs a router. I purchased the Ozito plunge router but it was very much difficult to remove / replace bits.  Due to this I am looking at a Makita 1850 plunge router…Can anyone advise if the Makita will be compatible with table????

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Router and table

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MervynWh. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about router table compatibility.

The Ozito router table is designed to work with Ozito routers. Routing mounting holes can be similar between different brands, but in some instances, a universal mounting plate can be required. If you want to switch to the Makita, I would recommend you see one of our helpful Toolshop team members, who will be able to verify the mounting compatibility on the display models in-store.

Further to your question, can I ask what the difficulty was with changing bits, as switching models might not rectify this? Perhaps our helpful members can assist with some tips on replacing bits that might make it easier.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell the issue with the router is that once it has been installed into the router table…basically regardless of the table brand the router access is extremely difficult (unless you have 3 hands.) You need on hand to hold the release button than another to place the bit and hold it up 1/8th inch  to install the bit than another hand to lock the bit in. They only option is to turn the table on side and even then it is difficult. For example, I have built a bench that the router table is attached to; then I have to undo all bolts and turn table over each time I need to change bit.IMG_1167.jpeg There’s is a bolt to hold the router to table that is too long and impedes on getting spinner to bolt. The knob on the left needs to be removed to get access and the power box in front is also needing to be moved to get access. Hence, as a hand held plunge router ok but totally unsuitable for router table.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds like a bit of an issue, @MervynWh, though I suspect most routers would have a similar method of installing a bit. I can sometimes struggle to put a bit in, even without the router attached to a table.

Let me mention some of our helpful members, @Noyade, @Nailbag, @Dave-1, @JoeAzza, @Seaton and @Super_D, to see if they have any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @MervynWh ,  @MitchellMc  is the ozito router a plunge router , if it is then you should be able to lower the plunge unit down to allow you to get to the router bit collet and change the bit.

i have a Makita plunge router mounted to a home made router table with a lift up table top, I still have lower the plunge unit to get to the collet to remove the router bit.

i also have an Ozito trimmer mounted to a table, this trimmer allows removal on the body unit to allow changing the router bits.

ozito trimmer

IMG_4640.jpeg

IMG_4641.jpeg

image.jpg

 Makita plunge router and table

IMG_4638.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Afternoon @MervynWh 

I dont have a router table sad to say :smile: However one thing I do know is that everytiem i have sat there for an hr trying to nut out how something is supposed to be done and determining it is in the too hard basket that there is an easier way / proper way to do so. Id go with @MitchellMc 's suggestion about having a chat with one of the toolshop team members. There have been plenty of times I have learnt something new about a tool that I hadnt known before just by asking about two different prices for the same looking item.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @MervynWh in my experience, base model router tables almost never accept routers that are not of the same brand eg: Makita. You typically will need to spend more serious dollars to get a table with more features including fitment compatibility and easier in-mount bit changes, but even then they can be problematic. Hence why you have woodworkers like @JoeAzza who has made his own.

regards, Nailbag.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Thats an impressive looking table @JoeAzza 👌

MervynWh
Getting Established

Love the table and setup JoeAzzza

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon @MervynWh 

Are you able to provide close-up photos of your set-up from the other side to show us what's impeding the router bit change?

What is the drop length of the Ozito and is your work bench impeding this?

What does the manual say?

This is Triton router table with a 'generic' router that can drop 50mm.

There is plenty of room for a spanner-ed hand plus a hand to lock the spindle.

20240710_142135.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects