Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate garage ceiling?

kalamkaramey
Finding My Feet

How to renovate garage ceiling?

Hi All,

I have an old garage which I am trying to makeover. Ceiling has joist and it's a metal shed with some timber attached throughout. For walls , I am thinking to plasterboard within same frame structure. However for Ceiling,  can I use mdf ? As planning to install floating boards on Ceiling by gluing and nailing them. However it needs a sturdy base for Ceiling. 

Any experiences and guidance will be helpful. 

Regards,

Amey K 

20221202_160746.jpg

20221124_175230.jpg

  

20221124_175408.jpg

20221124_175248.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garage Ceiling Renovation

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kalamkaramey. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about lining a shed.

Could you tell our helpful members a little more about these floating boards that you intend to attach to the ceiling? That way, they'd be better informed and able to offer suggestions.

It appears that you could use MDF for your ceiling as long as it is of a reasonable thickness, so it doesn't droop. It might be best to run batons perpendicular to the current timber so you have more locations to fix off to and support the boards.

I'm keen to hear more about your project and offer further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc for quick response. Wondering if mdf or particle board to be used ? 

Floating boards I was thinking of are normal laminate floor boards with 12 mm  thickness click and connect , which I was planning to glue and nail to mdf / particle board for roofing to give  a timber look. 

Regards,

Amey K

That sounds like it could work, Amey (@kalamkaramey).

Particle board or MDF could be used. However, you'll need to ensure that there are no leaks in the roof, as any moisture reaching the back of either the particle board or MDF will start to destroy it. It might be worth installing sarking prior to the boards if there are any moisture issues. If you have power running through the ceiling area, it would be advisable to have a professional install the sarking.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc. That's very helpful. I will update this post once I progress through and complete the project 

Regards,

Amey K 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects